Reconciling error

After a bank download when I run a reconciliation I show -$20.88 differnce. If I hit done the adjustment posted is -$2,426.94. This is clearly an error so I delete it. My bank balance and my register balance appear to be very close and yet I can't get a clean reconciliation. I only show one uncleared transaction, a check for $28.00. I have run validate and repair to no avail. My last clean reconciliation was on 3/26/2021. What else can I do?

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Are you reconciling to a paper statement, or to the balance as presented on the website (or, perhaps, downloaded)?
    Non-paper balances MIGHT include "pending" transactions, that haven't actually posted to your account.
    SO, I'd suggest that you mark ALL transactions after that 3/26 reconcile (and any before that date that weren't included in that reconcile) as "c", and re-reconcile to the account balance as posted on the website.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Are you reconciling to a paper statement, or to the balance as presented on the website (or, perhaps, downloaded)?
    Non-paper balances MIGHT include "pending" transactions, that haven't actually posted to your account.
    SO, I'd suggest that you mark ALL transactions after that 3/26 reconcile (and any before that date that weren't included in that reconcile) as "c", and re-reconcile to the account balance as posted on the website.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• patrickclements
    patrickclements Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I think that has worked.