Can't select a category

Options
BernieC
BernieC Member ✭✭
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but none of the categories really fit: I've have a bunch of accounts at Wells-Fargo, and ONLY my checking account is overseen by Quicken. I put money into my checking account by doing an internal-transfer at W-F. Since the account it was transferred from isn't managed by quicken I actually have a special category for that:"Transfer from Wells Fargo". BUT: when the transfer is download and it correctly shows up as a deposit, the only categories Quicken show for the category field are other quicken accounts [thos] and [that] and [the other], etc. I *cannot* figure out a way to get get to the normal category selector.

Where is Quicken hiding the "this is a transfer" setting so I can turn it off and give the transaction its proper category??

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken seems to think that this new transaction is a real transfer transaction and therefore only offers the [transfer account name] - categories.
    In the Check # field, is there the word Transfer or XFER or similar? If so, blank it out.
    Back to the Category field ... does the selection list have a grey column on its left side, with Category Group names like Personal Income, Personal Expense, Transfers, All Categories, etc. If so, select All Categories, then select your special category name.

For best results manually enter this deposit transaction into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transaction already exists in your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transaction to the existing one and be done with it, correctly.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken seems to think that this new transaction is a real transfer transaction and therefore only offers the [transfer account name] - categories.
    In the Check # field, is there the word Transfer or XFER or similar? If so, blank it out.
    Back to the Category field ... does the selection list have a grey column on its left side, with Category Group names like Personal Income, Personal Expense, Transfers, All Categories, etc. If so, select All Categories, then select your special category name.

For best results manually enter this deposit transaction into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transaction already exists in your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transaction to the existing one and be done with it, correctly.

• BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    Options
    YES! I've never paid much attention to that field but, indeed it was XFER. When I changed it to DEP I got the full category menu and got to set it.

And entering the transfer when I make it [which is a day or two before quicken will see it] is a great idea. THANKS!
  • AmeliaKD
    AmeliaKD Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for suggesting to look for the TXFR type for the transaction. You just solved a recurring headache for me :}
This discussion has been closed.