How do I backup my Quicken data, either to a memory stick or to Dropbox?

How do I backup my Quicken data, either to a memory stick or to Dropbox?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Press Ctrl + B
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @mlurey44

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue. You should be able to backup your file by going across the top to file > backup and restore > back up Quicken file. From there click the change button and you'll be allowed to choose the location you want to backup to between a dropbox folder or your flash drive. 

If you have any additional questions please let us now.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 kinds of Backups in Quicken, Manual and Automatic.  For Manual Backups you can tell it where to put the backup file and if you want to add the current date to the end of the name or to overwrite any existing backup file.  If you add the date to the end of the name over time you will end up with a lot of files.  

In addition to any manual backups you make, Quicken makes an automatic backup after so many times (which you can set). Quicken makes all automatic backups to a folder named "BACKUP" in the same folder where your Quicken data resides.

Your data is kept in a file ending in .qdf. So look for files that might have .qdf or .qdf-backup in them.  Starting with the 2010 version they added "-backup" to the file extension.

To do a manual backup go to FILE - Backup and Restore - Backup or do Ctrl+B.  Or I put a backup icon on my toolbar.  

Here is a screen shot from my Q2013 program.  See my backup icon?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ray Mayfield
    Ray Mayfield Member
    I attempted this past month's backup to drop box and got an error message that source file is not available.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I attempted this past month's backup to drop box and got an error message that source file is not available.
    That source file not available message appears when the Quicken file is in a folder being maintained by Dropbox.
This discussion has been closed.