Moving my Quicken file from my old computer to my new one

I've looked all over your website but can't fine a printed document that will take me through the process of moving my Quicken files from my old laptop to my new laptop that I bought on April 24. I would very much appreciate any help you can provide. I would very much appreciate just a single printed step by step set of instructions that I can perform. I've searched many times but can't find any such document on your support site. When I tried calling the support I heard it could take a long long time to get through.
Please help me.

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version are you using?  Are you on Windows?  Here are some notes I have.  There may be newer steps to download the subscription version.

You will need the original software CD or the downloaded program file. If you don't have the download, you should be able to go back to where you got it and redownload it.  Here's how to download Quicken if you bought it online directly from Quicken…

Once you install the program on the new computer making sure that your anti-virus and firewall software are disabled for the install and then update the program to the latest release.  Select Tools - then One Step Update - Update Now

Once you install the program, do a backup of the data on the old computer and then a restore on the new computer. Use a flash drive or thumbdrive or burn it to a cd or dvd.  Which is a good thing to do anyway for backup. Using Windows  XP the files are usually in My Documents in the Quicken Data folder.  You can search your hard drive for all files ending in .QDF to find where they are stored.  Then I would first copy the data file to the new computer's hard drive before you try to open it.

Moving Quicken Data Files Between Computers

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NavyMan30 said:  ... the process of moving my Quicken files from my old laptop to my new laptop
    Just to clarify - Quicken has 2 parts that you may be thinking about.
    A - the actual Quicken software program you have purchased and installed - and now needs to be RE-installed.
    B - the Quicken QDF data file - much like a MS Word DOC file - is just a simple file you can copy anywere.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NavyMan30
    NavyMan30 Member ✭✭
    Just a quick update. I originally bought Quicken Deluxe 2019. When it came time to renew I decided to use the downloadable version for my laptop. The original was installed on my desktop computer.
    The last time I checked, my version which was earlier this week I came up with Ver R33.24, Build 27.133.24. That's using Windows 10.
    Hope this is helpful information.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There year means nothing, it's all Quicken Subscription. You always download the latest installer from Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.