Security already exists with transactions but Quicken says it does not exist

i am trying to add new transactions to an existing security but Quicken says it does not exist. When i select create new, it says, nope, it already exists. What gives?

Best Answer

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Check to make sure security is not set to type: index

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @David Moffat

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with entering your transaction. That quite odd that it keeps giving you back and forth errors. I'm wondering here if we might be able to fix the issue by changing the security then reverting it back.

To do this you'll want to go across the top to tools > security list. Find the security you're having issues with and open it. From here you should have the security overview open and on the left you'll want to click edit details. we'll want to change it to a different security. It doesn't matter which one as long as you don't own it. Click ok then update. It should bring in information on the stock so it should be changed. From there you should be able to do the same process but instead look up the original stick and update it. 

Once you've done this see if you're still having the same error as before. Please let us know what you find. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Check to make sure security is not set to type: index

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• David Moffat
    David Moffat Member ✭✭
    though i do not understand, it was probably my fault. Investment account has two securities. Both paid interest last month to the cash balance. For one, i included the security in the intinc entry just for completeness of where the cash came from, no issues. For the other, exactly the same, it balked at the security being listed. i deleted the security from the entry. All good. Both securities created same day with same features some time ago. Thank you for your suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.