PC crashed

The PC I ran Quicken on crashed (and is unrepairable). The hard drive survived and can be accessed. I'm installing Quicken on another PC and I have the HD from the old PC attached through a Drive to USB adapter so I can access the lats quicken file. Should I copy and paste the contents of a folder (or folders) to the new PC's Quicken Folders or just open the file on the old drive with Quicken and then once open save it to the Quicken folder on the new PC?

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Although either should work, I have read some issues accessing Quicken on external drives and specially cloud.  So copy it.  All you need to copy is your .QDF Quicken data file(s) and rest of the supporting .dat files will be recreated.  Sorry about the loss!
    Adding: Don't forget to also copy any Quicken backup data files.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Although either should work, I have read some issues accessing Quicken on external drives and specially cloud.  So copy it.  All you need to copy is your .QDF Quicken data file(s) and rest of the supporting .dat files will be recreated.  Sorry about the loss!
    Adding: Don't forget to also copy any Quicken backup data files.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to copy the data file (.QDF).  If you access it with Quicken, you are messing with the only copy you might have, so make the copy and work with it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Steven Ewing
    Steven Ewing Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Thanks! What I did (after I found the current file) was copied it to a folder I created where Quicken had initially created a file and then opened it like normal (after I found where I had the latest password hidden). Everything appears to be working fine.