Transfer stocks cost basis from Vanguard mutual fund to brokerage account conversion

dhammabob
dhammabob Member ✭✭✭
In 2016, I used Quicken transfer shares action to move the shares from my then Vanguard mutual fund account to a Vanguard brokerage account. Unfortunately, I just realized that it didn't transfer any of the individual transaction cost basis, so I am wondering if there is a way to fix it now.

Quicken improved the transfer shares action in 2019 to transfer aggregated cost basis but that's still not good enough, I want to transfer all the details. Any advice is much appreciated.
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7851302/transferring-transactions-from-a-quicken-account-to-another-quicken-account

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    question: does it matter? Vanguard is maintaining the records required to report any capital gains transactions to the IRS (assuming you question relates to a after-tax account).  If this pertains to an IRA, why does it matter as 'cost basis' isn't reported anywhere.  I am just curious......
  • dhammabob
    dhammabob Member ✭✭✭
    @Mark1104 yes it does, it's in a taxable account and I have transactions as far back as 2007 and Vanguard only started tracking cost basis since 1/1/2011. For tax purposes, I want the flexibility to identify specific lots when I sell.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @dhammabob - thank you; makes sense

how many lots are there? one solution would be to manually key them back in and delete the records you have that do not reconcile with Vanguard's post 2010 records.   A potential headache, but may be worth the effort. 

alternatively, if the lots are that old, would you ever sell them vis-a-vis other lots that have less capital gains?  Would you ever instruct Vanguard to sell these lots or just depend on their "min-tax" approach which wouldn't choose these lots in any event? Just a out-of-the box idea....

good luck!    
  • dhammabob
    dhammabob Member ✭✭✭
    @Mark1104 guessing over 40 lots I would say and the thought occurred to me after posting the question, so it's a bit of work to add them back in manually but it might still be the quickest way to do it instead of trying unproven workarounds. I will try it tomorrow when I have some time.

Well, I don't know if I will identify lots to sell but I want the option to do so if it makes sense. Thanks for your insights.
This discussion has been closed.