cannot get register to stop auto naming

Options
cannot get register to stop auto naming transactions like the last time I entered

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In Quicken go into the Memorized Payee List. Click the blue question mark button to bring up Quicken Help positioned to a page about Memorized Payees, how to create, how to edit, etc. I hope that answers your questions.

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if by "stop auto naming a transaction" you are referring to Quicken automatically entering a payees name when you type the first few letters, then follow these steps

You can turn off the auto-memorizing of new payees in the Quicken Preferences.
    1. Select Edit menu > Preferences.
    2. In the left pane, select Data entry and QuickFill.
    3. Click to clear the Automatically memorize new payees checkbox, and then click OK.
  • Roamer321
    Roamer321 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @The Keeper said:
    > if by "stop auto naming a transaction" you are referring to Quicken automatically entering a payees name when you type the first few letters, then follow these steps
    >
    > You can turn off the auto-memorizing of new payees in the Quicken Preferences.* Select Edit menu > Preferences.
    > * In the left pane, select Data entry and QuickFill.
    > * Click to clear the Automatically memorize new payees checkbox, and then click OK.

Sorry no that is not what I mean. My problem is let's say I buy something from Amazon and categorize it as groceries and in the memo I put candy. After that, every Amazon transaction I download from my bank gets categorized as groceries and candy. I would rather it leave those fields blank.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roamer321 said:
    Sorry no that is not what I mean. My problem is let's say I buy something from Amazon and categorize it as groceries and in the memo I put candy. After that, every Amazon transaction I download from my bank gets categorized as groceries and candy. I would rather it leave those fields blank.
    In that case, please go into Tools / Memorized Payee List (MPL) and edit the Amazon entry.
    Blank out Memo and Category. Put a checkmark into the "Lock this ..." box. Make sure the "Mark as paid" checkbox is blank. Save the entry.
    Now you have a "model MPL entry" which Quicken can use for every Amazon purchase.
    If there are multiple Amazon MPL entries, delete all but the model entry.

• Roamer321
    Roamer321 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > In that case, please go into Tools / Memorized Payee List (MPL) and edit the Amazon entry.
    > Blank out Memo and Category. Put a checkmark into the "Lock this ..." box. Make sure the "Mark as paid" checkbox is blank. Save the entry.
    > Now you have a "model MPL entry" which Quicken can use for every Amazon purchase.
    > If there are multiple Amazon MPL entries, delete all but the model entry.

Thanks, I made these changes, and next download I will see if they work. On that Memorized Payee List what do the columns "Never Auto-Categorize" and "Show a payee on the Memorized Payee List" mean or do? And how do these payees get on this list in the first place?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In Quicken go into the Memorized Payee List. Click the blue question mark button to bring up Quicken Help positioned to a page about Memorized Payees, how to create, how to edit, etc. I hope that answers your questions.