Problem with connecting to Principal Funds

Hello Community,

Quicken Deluxe - version R34.24, Build 27.1.34.24

I am trying to add my accounts at Principal Funds to One Step Update and I am getting the following error "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Principal Funds" I have tried this 3 times over the span of the last 2 weeks.

I go through the process of configuring the online services and when Quicken connects it is able to see both accounts and I am able to link them to the existing accounts that I have in Quicken.

After that I get a pop up that says "Please Enter Your Passwords" and it asks for the Principal Funds passwords, but there is no place to enter them. I tried clicking on the Principal Funds name, but nothing happens. So, I hit OK and the next screen has the "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Principal Funds"

Accounts at other financial institutions are working fine.

I have looked through some similar posts on the community and tried to follow those resolutions, but to no avail. I thought I would check here before going on to Quicken support.
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20148946#Comment_20148946
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20002609#Comment_20002609
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20187764#Comment_20187764

Thanks!

I don't see a way to upload screenshots, but I will look as I see other posts with screenshots.

Comments

• BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @BTBT

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Principal funds. I was taking a look to see what the error could be but I was getting an invalid login with fake credentials which is expected. That being said your error is after signing in so it should be a bit different. I believe it would be best to collect logs to figure out what exactly is happening. You should be able to submit them by going across the top to help > report a problem. You'll want to have all logs selected (Should be selected by default).  

Once you've done so please let us know and we'll see what we're able to find out in the logs.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Thanks @Quicken Francisco I just did as you recommended. I appreciate the help.
  • BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hello @Quicken Francisco, what is an expected time for Quicken to look into the issue and provide a response?
    Thanks!
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BTBT

Thank you for your response, although I do want to offer your our sincerest apologies for the delayed response. When you report a bug or problem it generally takes anywhere from 7-10 business days depending on the issue. You will generally get an email with a response.

However, for this particular persistent issue, I would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly to have them submit logs and have the case escalated as needed. Again I do apologize for the delayed response and the nuisance of this issue. 

To contact Quicken Support please click here

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    Update - I contacted Quicken support on Friday the 20th. After some troubleshooting it still remains unresolved. A ticket was opened and I was told that I need to wait 2 days to continue troubleshooting. So I will contact support again to continue.
  • BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    Ok, So I spent an hour with Emilio doing online chat troubleshooting and the issue is now resolved. Thanks Emilio! The issue is that the password was too long and perhaps had some special characters that were not allowed/accepted by Quicken. So Emilio suggested that I change my Principal password to 10 chars and only letters and numbers as a test and it now works. Yeay!
    So I will try getting it to more chars and some special characters to make it stronger and hopefully that will work.

As a side note >16 chars and special characters works for other online institutions, so a little strange, but problem solved.

Cheers,
    Brian
  • BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    Probably the final update. Seems like Principals password policy doesn't like any special characters at the time of writing this (26 August 2021). I tried some and my password would not be accepted. In the error message Principal lists the disallowed special characters and even while not using those I wasn't able to select any special characters.

Anyway if you are seeing this issue, try updating your password as above.