Why do I receive message the active data file is not on my computer - Windows on MAC ?

Greek
Greek Member ✭✭
I just purchased an Macbook Air M1 and imported the data file from my old Macbook exporting it to a USB stick and then importing it into my newly downloaded Quicken. (I installed the data file into the Windows 10 virtual machine using Parallels.)
When opening Quicken, I get message that I am accessing the fie remotely through Dropbox, cloud storage, USB, etc. and I need to get it onto my computer. If I keep accessing the file this way it could be damaged. The data file begins "1\\Mac\Home\Documents\Quicken\Qdata11....". ow do I get this to the drive holding Quicken?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you first copy the data file from the usb flash drive to the computer before opening it?  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greek said:
    When opening Quicken, I get message that I am accessing the fie remotely through Dropbox, cloud storage, USB, etc. and I need to get it onto my computer. If I keep accessing the file this way it could be damaged. The data file begins "1\\Mac\Home\Documents\Quicken\Qdata11....". ow do I get this to the drive holding Quicken?
    Quicken doesn't support accessing its data file on a network - mapped drive. It is recommended that your data file be located on the Windows internal C: - drive, preferably in C:\Users\your_windows_username\Documents\Quicken
    The fact that both file locations physically reside on the same internal hard drive is unknown and undetectable by Quicken. All it sees is that the file location is accessed via a network.
    So, please move your data file to the Windows portion of your hard drive.
    Also please configure Quicken to create backups of the active data file every time you close Quicken. You can direct those backup files to the \\Mac\Home\... folder or, better, to an external USB drive or to a Dropbox or similar cloud storage location.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    With the M1 Mac you need to install Windows 10 for ARM, you can't use the same parallels VM that was used with the Intel Mac's.

You can start here with the article from Parallels:  https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-m1/

Hope this helps.
  • Greek
    Greek Member ✭✭
    Got it. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.