Classic Dashboard is ignoring $ values in MiscExp Investment transactions

Options
In the Home Tab I noticed that the TOTAL SPENDING values in Classic Dashboard and the New Dashboard are different.  So I used the "Spending by Category" report to identify the discrepancy.  Turns out that the total spending value in the Classic dashboard is NOT including any expense category added to a Miscellaneous Expense MiscExp transaction within an Investing account.  Perhaps hard to digest so try this test:
Go to an Investment account, create a Miscellaneous Expense (MiscExp) transaction with $1M value and assign any expense category (not blank).  Then go to the Home Tab and compare the New and Classic Dashboards.  You will see a $1M difference, missing from the classic dashboard!
Was this by design or a bug in the classic dashboard that has been there all along?

2nd observation: If you leave the category field blank in the same test scenario, the New dashboard will not list/count this particular uncategorized transaction under the "Uncategorized Transactions" snapshot - as well other issues if the transaction is changed from MiscExp to Withdraw.
Tested on both, QWin Deluxe R32.12 on Win10 and R35.31 on Win11

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BK said:
    Was this by design or a bug in the classic dashboard that has been there all along?

2nd observation: If you leave the category field blank in the same test scenario, the New dashboard will not list/count this particular uncategorized transaction under the "Uncategorized Transactions" snapshot - as well other issues if the transaction is changed from MiscExp to Withdraw.
    Tested on both, QWin Deluxe R32.12 on Win10 and R35.31 on Win11

I suspect that has been there all along.. I think I am seeing the same behavior in QW2017.

In a similar vein, I noted this morning that the Top Payees (last 30 days) was reporting to me "No Payee" as one of the top.  Turns out those were MiscExp transactions.  There is no place in a MiscExp transaction to specify a 'Payee" so it sort of makes sense those expenses get reported as No Payee, But now in your observation that same transactions were omitted from the older-style spending summary.  Coincidence?

FWIW, I'd like to see those MiscExp transactions reported as "Misc Exp" or similar in the Payees view, distinct from other transactions that really do have "No Payee" assigned.   
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @q_lurker , thank you.  I agree with your last line.  So "in theory" there is a potential fix to this by either adding a payee field to the MiscExp transaction window or defaulting it to the name of the account - in theory.  When I added a payee to it (from the Spending tab > Transactions view), it changed the transaction type from MiscExp to Withdraw (and difficult to reverse the change).
    It is unfortunate since I think MiscExp is the only 'meaningful' option to record broker/investment monthly fees for example, right, how else would one do it?  But at least the reports are correct and the issue is only in the [Classic] dashboard view.
    And for my 2nd observations we know that the NEW Dashboard is a work in progress.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.