Rebuild Memorized Payee List NOT working; have blank list

Noticed recently that my Memorized Payee List is completely blank. Quicken appears to be using memorized payees though so the data is still in the Quicken database.

Have tried rebuilding the Memorized Payee List with the Shift+Control, Tools > Memorized Payee task. I get the message that Quicken is rebuilding the Memorized Payee list but when it finishes, still blank.

Any ideas?

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @EL

I recently had the same problem.  Mine was caused by having too many memorized payees (to be honest, I cannot remember the last time, if ever, that I deleted entries from that list). 

I tried a few things, like rebuilding the list, making sure that, in "Preferences" both "add new payees" was checked and "remove memorized payees" was not checked.   I followed the Quicken guidance located here https://www.quicken.com/support/error-memorized-transaction-list-full-or-memorized-transactions-stop-working - which includes file validation/repair, but that didn't work either.

I was pretty sure that the data still existed in Quicken because when I did "Memorized Payees List Maintenance" it indicated that I could delete a number of "nonlocked payees not used in the last 3 years" and it displayed a number available for removal.  So, I decided to try the "delete payees not used in the last ___  months.  I set the timeframe at 12 months and my list then reappeared.  I now have a pared-down but serviceable memorized payee list.

I suggest that you also pare down your list.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• EL
    EL Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Frankx - thank you for the good writeup/explanation. It worked. Like you, I have never "cleaned up" my memorized payee list over 30 years(yes, I've used Quicken that long).

I did the Memorized Payee List Maintenance and got my memorized payees back(albeit with only last 3 years).

Thank you!

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @EL

I recently had the same problem.  Mine was caused by having too many memorized payees (to be honest, I cannot remember the last time, if ever, that I deleted entries from that list). 

I tried a few things, like rebuilding the list, making sure that, in "Preferences" both "add new payees" was checked and "remove memorized payees" was not checked.   I followed the Quicken guidance located here https://www.quicken.com/support/error-memorized-transaction-list-full-or-memorized-transactions-stop-working - which includes file validation/repair, but that didn't work either.

I was pretty sure that the data still existed in Quicken because when I did "Memorized Payees List Maintenance" it indicated that I could delete a number of "nonlocked payees not used in the last 3 years" and it displayed a number available for removal.  So, I decided to try the "delete payees not used in the last ___  months.  I set the timeframe at 12 months and my list then reappeared.  I now have a pared-down but serviceable memorized payee list.

I suggest that you also pare down your list.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• EL
    EL Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Frankx - thank you for the good writeup/explanation. It worked. Like you, I have never "cleaned up" my memorized payee list over 30 years(yes, I've used Quicken that long).

I did the Memorized Payee List Maintenance and got my memorized payees back(albeit with only last 3 years).

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.