Online billpay has "stuck" payees

Q r35.31 on win10 -- I've got a bunch of "phantom" online payees that I can't get rid of. What's happened is that I tried to pay a bill this morning and I got "Unexpected attempt to change payee name OL-301-A" error. I talked to Wells-Fargo about that and they've never heard of that error, but they checked my activity from their end and they saw the three payments that got processed and that there was one additional that did not.

After deleting the pending transactdion and the deactivate/reactivate, I redid the transaction and got the same error. So something was strange about that payee. So I deleted it, exited quicken, and restarted quicken.

When I went to re-create the payee i got told that there was already a payee with that name/account# and it wouldn't let me create it. I looked through the payee list and there's no other online payee with that account number. Where is Quicken hiding this invisible payee with the same account number and how to I get rid of it?

Comments

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BernieC

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having difficulties with online payees. I would recommend attempting to search the Online Payee list for those "stuck" payees. If you are able to find the payee(s), you can delete them there. 

To do this first select Tools >Online Payee list. From there select the unwanted payee(s) and click delete at the bottom right corner. You may also right-click the payee and choose delete from the drop-down menu. A visual example is below. 

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    I did that. And I went through my payee list, one-by-one [chiecking the account #s] to ensure that there wasn't another payee with the same account #. Nothing there. I get the payee/account is already there" error. I just tried something: I changed the payee. [I just misspelled it a bit :smiley: ] but used the same address, same acct number, etc. And it went through!!

I have four accounts with the compnay, all with different account numbers and so I had CO/acct1, CO/acct2, etc. And the problem I had was one of them was wrong, so I deleted it and tried to recreate it and then I got the payee/account in use error. So what I did was changed the company name and this time that went through. I hope the payment goes to the right place :smile:
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BernieC

Thank you for the additional detail. For the time being this definitely seems like a viable workaround. When you make your payments please reach out to us if you have any other issues. It is always appreciated if you keep us updated as well. 

-Quicken Paloma 
This discussion has been closed.