Cannot open Quicken data file - error message says still in use by another application.

Options
gilvanover
gilvanover Member
I'm getting an error message when trying to open Quicken. "Cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application such as a cloud storage backup." I've confirmed it is not in use by One Drive. I've rebooted and am still getting same message. Any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @gilvanover

Where is your Quicken datafile located on your computer - specifically is it located in your "Documents" folder?  And do you have One Drive setup for automatic backup of your "Documents" folder?

If the answer to the above questions ate "yes", it is likely that One Drive's automatic backups are causing this error message.  To fix that, I suggest that you move your Quicken datafile (permanently) to another folder on your C drive that is NOT a folder that is subject to the automatic backup process.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @gilvanover

Where is your Quicken datafile located on your computer - specifically is it located in your "Documents" folder?  And do you have One Drive setup for automatic backup of your "Documents" folder?

If the answer to the above questions ate "yes", it is likely that One Drive's automatic backups are causing this error message.  To fix that, I suggest that you move your Quicken datafile (permanently) to another folder on your C drive that is NOT a folder that is subject to the automatic backup process.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• gilvanover
    Options
    Thanks Frankx. Great advice and has resolved my problem. Much appreciated.
  • cleggy
    cleggy Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    [Removed-Disruptive]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options
    cleggy said:
    [Removed- Disruptive] just fix Dropbox!
    Because there isn't a simple fix to the problem.
    When an application like Quicken opens a data file, it gets locked by Windows so that another program doesn't change it while it is using it.  This lock keeps Dropbox/OneDrive out of the data file while Quicken is using it.  But there are times where Quicken has to close the data file, for instance to do the backup, or Validate and Repair, and some other situations.  The moment it closes the data file, Dropbox/OneDrive step in to sync it to their server.  When they open the data file it is also locked so that it won't change while it is being synced.  That lock prevents Quicken from reopening the file, and the result is the error message you see.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S. Some other workarounds are turning off the sync to while using Quicken, or use a script to copy the data file out of the cloud folder, open it in Quicken at the new location, and then copy it back when Quicken quits.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.