confusing CC balances

Options
one CC account adds charges to balance; other CC deducts charges from balance - why. This is a new problem - never happened before.

Best Answer

• sujack
    sujack Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When Quicken helped me yesterday by making a copy of my file due to a connection issue between QW and my bank, the accounts opened with the wrong balance and that threw everything off. One account is fixed, still working on the others; however now all of my accounts are not downloading and appears everything is in place for continued downloads, so issues still exist. Thank you everyone for your comments and guidance.

Answers

• sujack
    sujack Member
    Options
    I want charges to increase balance and payments to decrease balance in all my accounts.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

Charges should always subtract from the running balance.  
    Payments should always add to the running balance.

When the running balance is in the black (positive), charges will appear to reduce the balance and payments will appear to increase the balance.

When the running balance is in the red (negative), charges will appear to increase the balance and payments appear to reduce the balance.
  • sujack
    sujack Member
    Options
    Hi Sherlock, I did read this prior to my question. It did not solve the issue. One acct still does charges to increase what I owe and the one in question still reduces the amount I owe. So I do not understand the response. There is still a conflict.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options
    sujack said:
    Hi Sherlock, I did read this prior to my question. It did not solve the issue. One acct still does charges to increase what I owe and the one in question still reduces the amount I owe. So I do not understand the response. There is still a conflict.

Please show us what you're talking about.
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken account register showing the issue, register column headers included, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Leave a Comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image file or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info.....

https://www.quicken.com/support/positive-black-balance-credit-card-account

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• sujack
    sujack Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When Quicken helped me yesterday by making a copy of my file due to a connection issue between QW and my bank, the accounts opened with the wrong balance and that threw everything off. One account is fixed, still working on the others; however now all of my accounts are not downloading and appears everything is in place for continued downloads, so issues still exist. Thank you everyone for your comments and guidance.
This discussion has been closed.