Mutual Fund balances way off

Options
davidfromwi
davidfromwi Member
edited November 2021 in Investing (Windows)
Hello -
I have a situation where my mutual fund balances are TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS off.
The numbers in the account bar match up. The shares, price-per-share and value match up. But for whatever reason, the "Total Value" above all that shows me worth like $66 Trillion dollars.
Any thoughts or is this waiting for an update?
Thanks.
dave

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @davidfromwi,

Okay, I believe there are two possibilities:

a) your Quicken datafile has become corrupted.  The fix for this is to go back to a recent backup file.  When was your last backup?

b) the other possibility is that the file you downloaded from Raymond James was corrupted.  To fix that, you could try to delete the newly downloaded transactions along with the price history of the securities whose values appear to be vastly wrong.  However, if you've got a good recent backup file, I believe restoring that would be the easiest solution.

Let me know if you have any followup questions as you move forward, as well as what you did and how that went.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @davidfromwi,

CONGRATULATIONS. you've hit the Quicken Jackpot!!!!  ( Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that  :D )

Can you give us some more details, regarding what you were doing when this "windfall" occurred?  Have you determined which Quicken account or accounts are contributing to it?  Do you know what you were doing within Quicken (entering data, downloading data, downloading security prices, backing-up your file, etc., etc. etc.) when this happened?   Any other information that will help to pinpoint where the error lies?

Also, please tell us which version of Quicken you are running and when you last backed-up your datafile.  Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• davidfromwi
    Options
    Hello FrankX -
    I have Quicken Deluxe.

I had not gone into the Investing portion for a little while so I was not familiar with the values above the funds that I own (per the screen shot).

What I was doing was downloading information from Raymond James. On their website, I clicked the "Quicken" tab to get the data. It downloaded, I clicked on the Quicken Datafile and it merged with Quicken. When I looked, I had the "Trillion Dollar Balances"

I have it narrowed down that it appears to be occurring in the accounts I have at Raymond James. But yet, only certain Raymond James accounts. There are some RJ accounts where the amounts shown in the Account Toolbar do match what is appearing on the same screen as my "Trillion Dollar Balances".

Thanks.
    Dave
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @davidfromwi,

Okay, I believe there are two possibilities:

a) your Quicken datafile has become corrupted.  The fix for this is to go back to a recent backup file.  When was your last backup?

b) the other possibility is that the file you downloaded from Raymond James was corrupted.  To fix that, you could try to delete the newly downloaded transactions along with the price history of the securities whose values appear to be vastly wrong.  However, if you've got a good recent backup file, I believe restoring that would be the easiest solution.

Let me know if you have any followup questions as you move forward, as well as what you did and how that went.

Frankx

• davidfromwi
    Options
    Hey Frank -
    you are not going to believe this, but after your second post, I exited out of Quicken and got back in, and everything was fixed. I am no longer a Trillionaire! :)

Thanks again.
    Dave
This discussion has been closed.