Schwab update created new, duplicate securities

In my Schwab investment accounts, after the connection change, the updates created a new security for most of my positions, by adding the stock symbol to the name (for example, where I owned Dodge, it created Dodge (DOGX)). Then it added placeholder shares with a grayed out entry in 1992 to reconcile to the “new” security. So my account now shows double the value and double the positions, but with 2 security names. Deleting the new entry doesn’t help, since each update creates it again. And I can’t edit the security names because it won’t “duplicate” the existing one. I don’t know of a way to change the hundreds of historical transactions on a macro basis (search and replace) to conform to the “new” securities that Quicken or Schwab seems to want to use. Mac, current version. Subscription.
Tagged: Investments Mac Quicken Mac

Comments

• Siderod
    Siderod Member
    Same thing happened to me.
  • CocoaPuff
    CocoaPuff Member ✭✭
    I am observing a similar behavior with Quicken creating duplicate securities after transitioning to EWC+. I am able to differentiate between my existing security and the new one because the downloaded security name is slightly different that what I named the security. The symbol is the same but the new security has a CUSIP number. Prior to accepting a downloaded transaction such as a dividend, I have been editing the transaction to select the original security name and then saving it. This then requires deleting the downloaded transaction because Quicken thinks I saved a transaction that is different than the downloaded one. I have been able to delete the new securities created by Quicken at Tools > Security List.

Using QWin Premier R37.37 on Windows 10 Enterprise.
  • RonRP
    RonRP Member ✭✭
    > @CocoaPuff said:
    > I am observing a similar behavior with Quicken creating duplicate securities after transitioning to EWC+. I am able to differentiate between my existing security and the new one because the downloaded security name is slightly different that what I named the security. The symbol is the same but the new security has a CUSIP number. Prior to accepting a downloaded transaction such as a dividend, I have been editing the transaction to select the original security name and then saving it. This then requires deleting the downloaded transaction because Quicken thinks I saved a transaction that is different than the downloaded one. I have been able to delete the new securities created by Quicken at Tools > Security List.
    >
    > Using QWin Premier R37.37 on Windows 10 Enterprise.

This is similar to my situation (and keeping in mind I am on Mac (and the latest mondo patch was for Windows so no progress on that front)). However, Quicken keeps entering reconciling transactions with the new security name (i.e. the security name with the stock symbol added to it in parentheses; grayed out in 1992), so deleting those or the new security doesn't help. I would be glad to "concede defeat" and change everything to the new security name if there were a way to do that (e.g. a macro or search and replace).
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    I still can't connect one of my Schwab accounts. Quicken has various problems from hanging (forcing to kill with task manager) to just failing.

At one point it created a new account though instead on linking the existing account which of course means all basis is screwed up.

And yes in accounts that I did manage to link up. I've had to go back sometimes to 2019 and delete the update transactions in that tiny window one by one. You can't even selected multiple lines to delete several at a time.

Worse, for some reason it has done the same thing to a several other accounts. My discover credit card got them after I had similar trouble having changed my password. My Fidelity and local credit union accounts suddenly got duplicates going back years and nothing has been touched with those.

What a mess

My latest attempt to connect my Schwab Roth IRA of course has failed on hung. No clicking anywhere other than kill task in task manager fixes this.
  • RonRP
    RonRP Member ✭✭
    Okay, here is my work-around (not a full or pure solution) to my original post: Enter a current date transaction (i.e. after the Schwab update that created placeholders with a new security name) to Remove all the shares in your portfolio (of each security -- just get the total from the portfolio tab) under the old (though correct) security name (i.e. the one before Quicken/Schwab added the symbol to the name). Then, on the same date, for each security enter an Add shares transaction that matches the placeholder transaction that the great new Schwab update added. The placeholder (in 1992 in my case) disappears. This seems to work without messing up the performance history, and survived at least one one-click update so far. We still need to see if survives the next update that includes new transactions.
This discussion has been closed.