What tax category for partial home office expenses?

I have a home office that is 10% of my home. On my tax form I have a place to put expenses that are 100% business and another place to put home expenses such as repairs and cleaning where 10% counts as a business expense. What Quicken tax category should I use for these partial expense? I only see Office Expense in the list.


  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GHerbert,

    The Quicken for Windows application doesn't have an "automatic" feature that would make this type of entry for you.  So I suggest that you perform the calculation offline and then setup a standard recurring entry by using a monthly "Bill and Income Reminder" with a Split that will place 10% of the monthly amount is a tax category for "Home Office - Repairs & Cleaning" and the other 90% to a general "Repairs & Cleaning" category. 

    For the category that you'll setup titled "Home Office - repairs & Cleaning" - you should make sure that you set up a "tax category" for it.  To do that:

    1) Go to "Tools" > "Category List" > "Business Expenses";
    2) Locate the category and right-click on it and then select "Edit";
    3) In the pop-up window, select the "Tax Reporting" tab.  It will look like this:

    4) You should select the appropriate category, in the "Schedule C" section, from the drop-down menu;
    5) Click on "Save". 

    Let me know if you have any followups.


                            Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.