I have a cash management account with Fidelity loaded in Quicken,

Q won't allow me to manually enter a check. The dialog box that appears is for an investment transaction; shares, cost, etc.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Sorry I apparently wasn't clear enough. I wasn't talking about the filter for viewing the register, which is what you're describing. I was talking about entering a new transaction, which is that you were asking about.

Click New in the register, enter the date, and in the Type field, which defaults to Buy, click the arrows to display the pop-up menu of transaction types. Select the last option in the menu, Payment/Deposit.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Select a transaction type of Payment/Deposit. Then you'll be able to enter all the other fields (category, tags, memo, amount, check number, etc.) you need to record a check payment. If you want to print the check from Quicken, either put PRINT in the check number column (you will have to make this column visible in your register), or when the transaction is open for entry/editing, click the Print Check tab and then click the "I will print this check" checkbox. This transaction will show up the next time you go to Print Checks.

So to recap: in an investment account, enter a transaction Type=Payment/Deposit, and then the transaction will behave exactly the same as a transaction in a non-investment register. 
  • JB49
    JB49 Member
    Thank you for your input, but when I select transaction type my choices are - "spending, income or any type". All 3 choices still give me only "investment transaction; shares, cost, etc." I am using Version 6.4.4 (Build 604.41834.100) Mac annual renewable which was just renewed in October 2021.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Sorry I apparently wasn't clear enough. I wasn't talking about the filter for viewing the register, which is what you're describing. I was talking about entering a new transaction, which is that you were asking about.

Click New in the register, enter the date, and in the Type field, which defaults to Buy, click the arrows to display the pop-up menu of transaction types. Select the last option in the menu, Payment/Deposit.

• JB49
    JB49 Member
    Thank you. That worked. I've never used that column before and didn't even have it checked. Anytime I entered a check the "normal" register was what came up. Is there a way to have "Payment/Deposit" be the preferred selection?
  • jacobs
    There are two types of registers in Quicken Mac: "banking" and "investment". In banking resisters -- which include checking, savings, cash, credit cards, as well as assets and liabilities, there is no transaction Type field. Every transaction is just money in or out. In investment accounts, there is a Type field for each transaction, for the obvious reason that Quicken needs to know what kind of investment transaction you're entering. The Type column should have been visible by default when you created your investment account, but it;'s easy to show if you somehow didn't have it visible. 

And no, there is no way to make Payment/Deposit the default transaction Type. But you don't have to pull down the menu and scroll al the way down every time. Just Tab into the Type column and type "p" to have it select Payment/Deposit from the menu; tab again and continue entering your transaction. Again, this is only for Investment accounts. 
This discussion has been closed.