One Step Update Summary no longer show transaction download summary

Options
2»

Comments

• JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    runtime.dat file This file is not in inet file. The inet file is empty.
  • hansenb40
    hansenb40 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
    @jrslater I found it in c:\ProgramData\Quicken\inet\user_i_am_logged_in_as\Runtime.dat

It doesn't appear to be hidden. But you may need to make sure that in explorer you're not hiding system files. (view->options, uncheck the box next to 'hide system files' or some such wording.
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    Found it, thanks. It was hidden, but the string you showed wasn't there. Will try some experiments.
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    No luck.
  • hansenb40
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @JRSLATER   I have three subdirectories in c:\ProgramData\Quicken\inet;    common, QWWebData, and a third that's named the same as the user I'm logged in as. It's in the last folder.

I just did a little test and renamed the Runtime.dat file when quicken was not running and redid a one step update. The file got rebuilt and the summary is correct.

I really do think that when I uninstalled everything and removed files in the various places and the registry and did a re-install it rebuilt everything.  A previous fix or update trashed the installation.

I've written installers and uninstallers and trashing a directory is surprisingly easy to do and if you're not testing things fully you may miss re-creating what you removed by mistake. All conjecture on my part obviously.  Something that we'll never figure out without good knowledge of how quicken is built.
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cannot find any \Runtime.dat file anywhere in Quicken's program data files. I will probably get dinged for this, but waiting on Quicken to solve this irritating problem .............................
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    You think that a problem that was reported in December would have a fix by April.
  • Ron49
    Ron49 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Fixed thanks to Sherlock: First, I closed out Quicken. Secondly, I renamed the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Template\runtime.dat file to OLD_runtime.dat; and the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Commom\runtime.dat file to OLD_runtime.dat. Next, I restarted Quicken and ran the One Step Update. All my Accounts updated except a couple. In these instances I viewed my account and did a Reset in the Display Options. Now all accounts update and display. No more blank screen. After everything worked I backed up Quicken and in File Explorer remove the renamed files. Again Thank You to Sherlock.
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    My problem is the inet\common does not have runtime.dat file.
  • Mike J.
    Mike J. Member ✭✭
    Options
    Had the same problem, reinstalled Quicken program which took
  • Mike J.
    Mike J. Member ✭✭
    Options
    The same for me, so I uninstalled the program, deleted all the Quicken files except my backup & reinstalled the Quicken program and it is working fine for the last two days.
  • hansenb40
    Options
    It's been behaving for me after uninstalling and wiping directories and registry entries the uninstaller left behind (see earlier posts). I have had other download issues but not this one. Having your users go to these measures is not something you expect to see from a supposed mature product. It really needs to be fixed, many threads describe this issue.
  • britgrit
    britgrit Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried this fix today. When I restarted Quicken after re-naming the runtime.dat file, it had created a new runtime.dat file.

I ran a One Step update (I have 10 institutions set up), and as mentioned elsewhere, the only 3 that showed up in the summary were the ones that use the old Direct Connect. The other 7 are set up with Web Connect.

Surely someone at Quicken can trouble shoot this irritating ongoing issue ! PLEASE !!
  • britgrit
    britgrit Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hallelujah !!! THANKS Ron49

Further to above, re-setting all the accounts did it for me without having to reinstall or change anything else. Try that first.
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    Resetting all accounts and the new update did not fix the problem. Why am I not surprised.
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another update and no fix.......................
  • bmbass
    bmbass Member ✭✭
    Options
    Is it possible for someone from Quicken to give us an update? This problem has been going on for MONTHS. Can we get some acknowledgement that Quicken is working on this problem and that a fix is in the works? For me, I have 21 accounts and I either get 13 shown in OSU, or maybe 6 shown, or none. I have renamed runtime.dat multiple times and the best I get is 13 of the 21 accounts. For me, it seems the Express Web Connect accounts are the ones missing. I have even started a new dataset a few weeks back, but that has not helped. I would be willing to help Quicken debug this problem if that would help.
  • Russ N
    Russ N Member
    Options
    I've been having issues with the One Step Update not showing "all" account update statuses (it typically did show some, although I confess, I didn't spend much time trying to figure out any patterns) for quite some time, seems like it's been months.

But based on Sherlock's comment from March 17, 2022, I navigated to the Inet folder using File Explorer in Windows 10, then did a search for "runtime".

The search found 2 files. One was in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common and showed a modification date of 10/10/2020. The file was only 57 bytes in size, and I could look at in in Notepad. I exited Quicken, renamed that file, then restarted Quicken. Quicken started up fine, and I didn't try anything else in Quicken, just exited the program. I did check, and there wasn't a new "runtime.dat" file within the "Common" folder.

I then renamed the second file, which was in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\QDATA. This file had a mod date from today, and was larger at 13.0 KB. After renaming it, there were no files named simply "runtime.dat" under the Inet folder or its subfolders.

At that point, I again restarted Quicken, and it came up fine.

Then I ran a One Step Update.

First thing I noticed was that the lengthy list of accounts finished updating quicker than I've seen in some time. For a while now, I've been seeing several institutions complete quickly (within 15-30 seconds, I'd estimate), but then there'd be a delay for maybe 2 minutes, at which point all of the other accounts would finish. This time, the delay before the second set was significantly shorter, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. Not sure if that's just coincidence as I've only run One Step Update once since renaming the 2 files, but I haven't seen it finish that quickly in quite some time, so guessing (hoping!) that this may be an added benefit of having reset the runtime.dat file.

When the account updates completed - EUREKA! - I got additional status messages - mainly Error messages for Schwab, Vanguard, and Discover Card that I hadn't been getting previously. I also got messages for 5 institutions (total of 9 accounts) all showing "0 transactions downloaded". (I think I've been seeing most of those before, not sure about all of them every time.) There are still some institutions that didn't get listed. I don't believe they would have had any transactions to download since I had run One Step Update earlier today, but 5 institutions did still show even though they didn't have any transactions to download, either, so not sure why some show while others don't.

In a way, glad to see the error messages. (Don't like errors to happen, certainly, but glad to at least have them show up now!)

FYI - There is now a new runtime.dat file in the QDATA folder with a timestamp reflecting the last time I had been in Quicken.

This looks like progress on one front, so thrilled with that! Thanks, Sherlock!!!

(I've still got issues with Schwab where I can't get a connection to two of our accounts (my wife and I) at the same time, apparently because they happen to end in the same 3 digits. (Saw someone else who seemed to be struggling with that, too. Also, with Schwab and other institutions, too, I'm occasionally finding transactions that don't download within a given month even though other transactions do get download correctly during the same timeframe for the same institutions, and all of those transactions appear on the paper statements that we receive. I then have to manually type in those transactions based on the statements. Frustrating!)

-- Russ

20+ year Quicken user
    Version R40.21
    Windows 10
  • pmfenton3
    pmfenton3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Renaming runtime.dat files fixed it for me. I've been having this problem for months. [Removed - Rant] Am running R41.9 but problem has been there for months. At a minimum could Q support folks please update the different threads concerning this problem which suggest fixes that haven't worked for anyone. Q users continue to waste their time and taking risks by applying procedures that don't fix the problem. Not happy....
  • stquick1409
    stquick1409 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Any updates on this? Still happening to me.
  • JRSLATER
    JRSLATER Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken is still working on it.
This discussion has been closed.