file validation, charles schwab problems

Options
After weeks of the Charles Schwab account problems, which included seemingly never having Quicken act "without incident" more than 2 or 3 time in a row, I have now tried to validate the file.  Now that I have done it, I don't know what to do.

I have this validated "cpy" file.  Do I still have the other file? Which file do I use going forward? What would be the next step?  Thanks.

(Note that I also have Quicken on another PC, which itself has had similar issues, and I realize that the fact that I have been running it on 2 PCs might be part of my problem.  But, for now, one machine at a time.  Thanks again.)

Comments

• Quicken Alyssa
    Options
    Hello @JustKeepOnTruckin,

Thank you for choosing to come to the Community with your questions! 

To find what files you currently have on your PC, you can go to File>Show this file on my computer from with your Quicken software. That should open the File Explorer and show you the location of your currently open data file. Usually, Quicken files will be stored in the same location together, so from there, you should see many files. 

Also, if the other file is one that you have opened recently, you can see it by going to File. At the bottom of the menu options right above Exit, recently opened files are listed.

It is ok to use the same Quicken file on two different computers. You just should not have them both open at the same time. 

Regarding your question about the copy file and whether or not you should stay in that file, this is difficult to say without knowing more information. I would assume that you are in this copy file for a reason, so I would suggest staying there.

As far as the next steps, that is also difficult to determine with the information provided. Again I will assume that you now need to reconnect your Schwab accounts. If this is the case, the first step will be going to the plus sign (+) and typing in Charles Schwab & Co. You will then follow the prompts and go through authorizing your accounts for use in Quicken. You will want to make sure you link these accounts to your existing accounts, rather than adding them, which would create duplicates. 

I hope this answers your questions, if not feel free to reach back out. 

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• JustKeepOnTruckin
    JustKeepOnTruckin Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the response. 

As I wrote, I have been having problems with the file not downloading all transactions from Charlie Schwab accounts.  It has been a known Quicken issue for the past few weeks.  I decided to validate the file as a possible improvement of the situation.  The validation process leaves me with the a validated *.cpy file.  I'm just not sure if a file with the .cpy extension can be used as a "regular" Quicken file, or, perhaps, if "cpy" is not a file extension, but is rather appended to the file name to denote that it is a validated copy.

Thank you again.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Options
    @JustKeepOnTruckin,

Validating your Quicken file would not append "cpy" to the file name. However, copying your data file would do this. In this case, it is not a file extension, but rather added to the name so you know it is the copy, as you stated above. 

Quicken Alyssa

This discussion has been closed.