Why are transactions in selected categories not showing up in budget?

sfdrj
sfdrj Member ✭✭
I set up my 2022 budget with my selected categories. However, transactions in those categories are not registering with the budget.

For example, I have my monthly mortgage payment configured in a split: between mortgage category and account transfer to the correlating debt account, mortgage interest category and account transfer to the correlating debt account.

The payment entered in my checking account register shows up in the debt account with the splits intact, but it does not show up on the budget. Other expenses and income do show up on the budget.

All of the dates are correct that it should pull into the budget, but the actual expense isn't showing up in the budget. It's not even showing up in the total expended for the month, let alone within the category.

I double-checked and there's no duplicate or misnamed category that could be causing an error in recording.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Have you actually made the payment, or is it scheduled for later this month? The budget will only show expenses up through today's date, it won't show any future payments.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• sfdrj
    sfdrj Member ✭✭
    > @Jon said:
    > Have you actually made the payment, or is it scheduled for later this month? The budget will only show expenses up through today's date, it won't show any future payments.

Already made the payment. It's due on the 1st of the month, so it gets recorded on 1/1/22. Again, it shows up everywhere except the budget. And all of my other 1st of the month transactions from the register are showing up in the budget, just not the Home:Mortgage & Rent and Home:Mortgage Interest categorized transactions.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    sfdrj said:
    I set up my 2022 budget with my selected categories. However, transactions in those categories are not registering with the budget.

For example, I have my monthly mortgage payment configured in a split: between mortgage category and account transfer to the correlating debt account, mortgage interest category and account transfer to the correlating debt account.

The payment entered in my checking account register shows up in the debt account with the splits intact, but it does not show up on the budget. Other expenses and income do show up on the budget.

All of the dates are correct that it should pull into the budget, but the actual expense isn't showing up in the budget. It's not even showing up in the total expended for the month, let alone within the category.

I double-checked and there's no duplicate or misnamed category that could be causing an error in recording.
    Hello @sfdrj,

I am sorry you are experiencing this confusing issue. Thank you for choosing to discuss this matter on the Quicken Community.

I just want to make sure we cover our bases here: is the Show Used & Unused option selected under Show in the lower right hand side of the screen when you click on Select Categories in the Edit Budget window?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • sfdrj
    sfdrj Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @sfdrj,
    >
    > I am sorry you are experiencing this confusing issue. Thank you for choosing to discuss this matter on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > I just want to make sure we cover our bases here: is the Show Used & Unused option selected under Show in the lower right hand side of the screen when you click on Select Categories in the Edit Budget window?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Great question. Yes, it is selected.

And just for laughs, I also tried selecting all categories for the budget, just to see if that triggered a refresh. No dice. It’s still not pulling the entry. Then I deleted and re-entered the transaction — nope. Won’t pull on the budget.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    sfdrj said:
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @sfdrj,
    >
    > I am sorry you are experiencing this confusing issue. Thank you for choosing to discuss this matter on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > I just want to make sure we cover our bases here: is the Show Used & Unused option selected under Show in the lower right hand side of the screen when you click on Select Categories in the Edit Budget window?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Great question. Yes, it is selected.

And just for laughs, I also tried selecting all categories for the budget, just to see if that triggered a refresh. No dice. It’s still not pulling the entry. Then I deleted and re-entered the transaction — nope. Won’t pull on the budget.
    @sfdrj,

Thank you for keeping in touch with me about this. I know that this issue is frustrating and I am sorry that it remains unresolved.

If you had the chance and you felt comfortable doing so, would you submit logs regarding this problem? You would do this by reproducing the error then leaving the budget window up on the screen so that an image of the error could be taken, and then you would go to the Help option in the upper menu while Quicken is still open. You would then select Report a Problem and provide a brief description, then you would click Send to Quicken. This would help our support teams work on a solution and analyze the issue in more detail. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • sfdrj
    sfdrj Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > @sfdrj,
    >
    > Thank you for keeping in touch with me about this. I know that this issue is frustrating and I am sorry that it remains unresolved.
    >
    > If you had the chance and you felt comfortable doing so, would you submit logs regarding this problem? You would do this by reproducing the error then leaving the budget window up on the screen so that an image of the error could be taken, and then you would go to the Help option in the upper menu while Quicken is still open. You would then select Report a Problem and provide a brief description, then you would click Send to Quicken. This would help our support teams work on a solution and analyze the issue in more detail. 
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

I have done that. Thank you!
  • gtgerbo
    gtgerbo Member ✭✭
    Regarding “The budget will only show expenses up through today's date, it won't show any future payments:” This has not been my experience. I’m not seeing this. In fact, I have a premium payment scheduled for 1/22/2022 and the system is pulling the scheduled amount in as actual in the budget to actual side-by-side.

I only say this to introduce a different wrinkle to this issue. That is, I have another scheduled premium payment scheduled for 1/13/2022 and the budget to actual side-by-side is pulling the scheduled premium in as a negative number instead of a positive number and this is throwing the budget balance off.
This discussion has been closed.