Tax Planner Broken - January 2022

I think this is pretty much an annual thing, so I should probably just ask... what's the ETA for an update to fix the tax planner so it can calculate 2021 year-end numbers?

Details: When selecting the tax year, it shows 2021 and 2022, but only 2021 can be selected. When going through the tax planner sections, it is using some data from 2022 and some from 2021 even though 2021 is selected.

For example Wages is using "Quicken Data (from 2022)" and showing Scheduled Bills and Deposits for 2022, but Interest/Dividend Income is using "Quicken Data (from 2021) but it defaulted to adding a "Projected inflation increase over 2021" which makes no sense if it is already using 2021 data. Business income is the same, using 2021 data but also an inflation increase over 2021. Capital Gains are using 2022 data.

Basically it's a mess and it looks like the only way to get a tax estimate for 2021 would be to run reports to get all the numbers and then change everything to "User Entered" values. Even then I'm not confident that it would be using 2021 tax tables since everything seems mixed up.

I was trying to get the report for 2021 in order to file estimated taxes for Q4 2021 by 1/18/2022.

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Check to make sure you are on the latest release of R36 or R37. The issues you describe are consistent with using a version that has not been updated with the 2022 tax planner. The latest versions listed above have been.
  • Alan_F
    Alan_F Member ✭✭
    I'm on R37.25, build 27.1.37.25 - Windows 10 Enterprise. A 'check for updates' says I'm on the latest version.
  • markus1957
    R37.25 does not have the update in spite of what Quicken may indicate as the latest release. 

R37.62 is available from Support site Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows
    R37.65 is available via the link in the last comment of this discussion-  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20230143/#Comment_20230143

I am running R37.65 without issue. I do not sync with mobile or web nor do I have a Schwab account. 2022 tax planner is functioning as expected.
  • Alan_F
    Alan_F Member ✭✭
    R37.65 fixes the big issues with the tax planner.

It still has a preexisting issue with the "Other Withholding" pulling 2022 year-to-date data even though it says it is using "Quicken Data (from 2021)" but that problem was there in previous years as well. I've always had to enter the Other Withholding manually. It shows the correct transactions from 2021 in the window at the bottom with the correct total for 2021, but it doesn't carry that number up to the calculations.
  • markus1957
    With respect to your Other Withholding issue. Unless you have a scheduled reminder for Other Withholding with a 2022 date or an actual transaction for 2022, Quicken will use an estimate based on 2021 for the input value. Once you enter a real transaction or a reminder, the estimated value will go away.
  • Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
    > @Alan_F said:
    > R37.65 fixes the big issues with the tax planner.
    >
    > It still has a preexisting issue with the "Other Withholding" pulling 2022 year-to-date data even though it says it is using "Quicken Data (from 2021)" but that problem was there in previous years as well. I've always had to enter the Other Withholding manually. It shows the correct transactions from 2021 in the window at the bottom with the correct total for 2021, but it doesn't carry that number up to the calculations.
    Yes, I have R39.21/27.139.21 and my tax planner is very messed up. I have checked tax withholding that i entered. Sometimes i have noticed Q has duplicated entries, and other times it has changed +'s to -'s.
  • hotjava
    hotjava Member ✭✭
    I just started using Quicken this year and overall like it but have found the Tax Planner to be unreliable. I am on R39.23/27.1.39.23. On the Tax Center tab it is displaying an incorrect value for Withholding/W-4. When I go to the Tax Planner for that item I have Quicken Data (from 2022) selected and Scheduled Bills and Deposits selected. It is displaying the correct data in that section, but the data in the Withholdings section above it is missing the projected withholdings from paycheck (It does include projected withholdings from a non-paycheck reminder). If I just click the User Entered button and then click Quicken Data (from 2022), the Withholdings section updates to the correct values. If I then even just switch Windows to display another program, the Withholdings section is incorrect when I come back to Quicken. If I close the Tax Planner with the correct values displayed there, the Tax Center still has incorrect values. I have validated the Quicken file with no improvement.
  • markus1957
    Might be a corrupted paycheck reminder. Try creating a test paycheck with withholding to see if it shows up as expected. If so, delete and recreate the paycheck reminder not showing up properly.
  • hotjava
    hotjava Member ✭✭
    > @markus1957 said:
    > Might be a corrupted paycheck reminder. Try creating a test paycheck with withholding to see if it shows up as expected. If so, delete and recreate the paycheck reminder not showing up properly.

Thank you, that fixed it!
This discussion has been closed.