Estimated Tax math in Planner seems incorrect

Options
2»

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only reason there is a need to adjust an individual transaction's tax line assignment ... 

I would say the reason to adjust the individual transaction is because your setup is wrong.  I would be bothered that a tax schedule report shows the same thing - that the refund was a negative estimated tax paid.  Your current setup applies all transactions associated to category Tax:Federal Income Tax as flowing to tax line 1040 - estimated tax paid.  That is inaccurate, IMO.

Do what you need to do.  Yes, Quicken is deficient in the manner you show.  But IMO, your setup is also deficient.  Fixing your setup would also avoid the problem without a spurious 'adjustment'.  Had the refund been shown in supporting the Quicken determined value, most users would be complaining about having that refund included.  If data is setup right, there is no need for an adjustment.     

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:
    Your current setup applies all transactions associated to category Tax:Federal Income Tax as flowing to tax line 1040 - estimated tax paid.  That is inaccurate, IMO.
    Agreed. I will correct that.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    That's kind of like using a category Income for wages, pension, IRA distributions and social security and then using adjustments to make it work. There is a bug but there is also bad practice at play with this issue.
This discussion has been closed.