I have a loan that I need to reconnect to download data, and cannot

I have an auto loan that stopped being able to download data from Honda. I disconnected, and wanted to reconnect to the financial service. When trying to edit the loan to reconnect, there is no longer a tab to do so. I've tried restarting the application, but that didn't make a difference. Am I missing something? I have done this with other accounts from time to time with no issues. I have updated to the most recent version, and am using a subscription, so all patches should now be applied ... but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Kenneth Goodwin
    Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If the account is still listed in your Accounts, right click on the account --> Edit/Delete Account  --> Account Details --> Online Services   If what you are saying is that the Online Services tab is no longer being displayed, then I suspect you will have to reestablish the account from the start to set up (reestablish) the online services for the account in question.  This can normally be done without disrupting your Quicken account data but make sure you have a backup if things go south.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    According to this discussion, the problem seems to be resolved: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7904023/honda-financial-name-change
    You may have to start a new loan account using the Tools / Add Account process to continue.
    IMHO, keeping the current loan as an offline account, not connected for downloading, should give less error prone results. Use the Scheduled Reminder created by the loan setup to record the monthly payments from your checking account as transfers to the loan account. If the amounts of principal and interest vary by a few cents, use the monthly loan statement to make the necessary corrections as you make payments.

Answers

• Kenneth Goodwin
    Answer ✓
    If the account is still listed in your Accounts, right click on the account --> Edit/Delete Account  --> Account Details --> Online Services   If what you are saying is that the Online Services tab is no longer being displayed, then I suspect you will have to reestablish the account from the start to set up (reestablish) the online services for the account in question.  This can normally be done without disrupting your Quicken account data but make sure you have a backup if things go south.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    According to this discussion, the problem seems to be resolved: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7904023/honda-financial-name-change
    You may have to start a new loan account using the Tools / Add Account process to continue.
    IMHO, keeping the current loan as an offline account, not connected for downloading, should give less error prone results. Use the Scheduled Reminder created by the loan setup to record the monthly payments from your checking account as transfers to the loan account. If the amounts of principal and interest vary by a few cents, use the monthly loan statement to make the necessary corrections as you make payments.

• BobJames
    BobJames Member
    > Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd of course like to keep the existing transactions, so deleting the account isn't likely an option, and keeping the current loan as an offline loan creates a balance sheet issue. I'll try reaching out to Quicken support tomorrow, hoping that I can somehow create a new loan as you guys have suggested, then maybe transfer transactions somehow, and then deleting the old loan. I'd move forward, but don't want to have a bigger issue than I currently have at this point.
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    A possible means of keeping the existing transactions would be to change the name of the bum account (creating essentially a dummy account), create the new correct account with the online services established, download what comes across with the new now established online account and then transfer the dummy account transactions into the new account.  Probably means you'll have to change the opening balance in the new account because of the transactions you've transferred from the dummy account that are not represented in the new account's state.  I would think as long as Quicken has the current financial state correct, one would be happy but I understand the desire to keep the historical aspect of the account.  Changing the history of the new account is dangerous if you make a mistake, requires a very good backup scheme with backups of the various states of the process to cover operator errors and I would not recommend it but there is usually a way to align Quicken with one's view of the world.
  • BobJames
    BobJames Member
    Thanks Ken. I guess I just don't want to end up with two loan balances showing, nor do I want past payments to have no way to link to anything. I would think that would cause issues with reporting. As it is, I do have a couple of payments that show up in my checking register, but that cant be processed properly against the loan. What I don't understand, is how the Online Services tab has disappeared, with no way to just reco9nnect the existing account. I'm sure that in the end, I'll need to create a new account, and just see what downloads once I do.
This discussion has been closed.