How do I record failed transfers of cash (EFT) from my bank account to my brokerage account?

I have some "RETURNED NSF" transactions in my brokerage account that were recorded by my broker as "EFT RETURNED NSF".

How would I log those in my brokerage account activity?

Thank you in advanced,

SC

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @Quickly-In,

I am not all that familiar with the potential differences between Quicken US (which I use) and Quicken Canada, but I don't think that has much of a bearing on this question.

That being said - I am pretty sure that "ETF RETURNED NSF" is a transaction which was refused because of insufficient funds in the source account.  If they were transactions that you initiated, I would suggest that you ignore them (i.e. not enter them, because they were not accepted transactions).  If they were transactions that someone else initiated, and that you were the recipient of, then they are still failed transactions and you should do three things - find out why they were rejected by contacting whoever initiated them, don't enter them in your accounts, and consider taking action against the individual (entity) who/which initiated them.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• (Quicken Canada Subscription), btw.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @Quickly-In,

I am not all that familiar with the potential differences between Quicken US (which I use) and Quicken Canada, but I don't think that has much of a bearing on this question.

That being said - I am pretty sure that "ETF RETURNED NSF" is a transaction which was refused because of insufficient funds in the source account.  If they were transactions that you initiated, I would suggest that you ignore them (i.e. not enter them, because they were not accepted transactions).  If they were transactions that someone else initiated, and that you were the recipient of, then they are still failed transactions and you should do three things - find out why they were rejected by contacting whoever initiated them, don't enter them in your accounts, and consider taking action against the individual (entity) who/which initiated them.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• :)
    Thank you so much, Frank.

I'm always crazy about keeping as much information and records as possible. I even have to go through my home filing cabinet at the end of the year and shred the papers I don't need. Which ends up being a lot.

I thought it would be necessary to keep the NSF (You're right, Non Sufficient Funds) in order to show what caused the fees but I see I can add that info as a memo for the NSF transactions.

So, thank you very much for your answer. A very big help for me. :)

Many happy returns,

SC
This discussion has been closed.