My File is 3.5 Gig and cannot archive any of it to reduce file size - lots of attachments

Skiddut
Skiddut Member ✭✭
I have talked with Quicken support about reducing my file size with the "create a year archive" option. It continues to throw errors. He informed me that I need to start a new Quicken file and start from scratch. When I explained that that is not a viable option he just hung up on me.

What other options do I have?

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    In Menu, Help, hold Ctrl key while clicking About Quicken. What is the QDF file size reported there?  If it is significantly lower, try using the File>Copy routine. If it throws errors, it is likely damaged. Try the validate and super-validate processes.
  • Skiddut
    Skiddut Member ✭✭
    The file size reported there is 493K. I have tried the File>copy routine and also the validate and super-validate processes. Thanks for your response.
  • Skiddut
    Skiddut Member ✭✭
    Sorry that file was for a new startup. The QDF File is 220060K
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have many file attachments to transactions? If so, how many?
    What kind of errors have you received when trying to copy the file?
    Have you tried using Copy to create a template? This should copy your entire data file, record by record, and leave deleted records and other unusable "gas space" behind.
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019+ repeat the Copy process, but this time press and hold SHIFT and CTRL while you click "Next". When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.

• Skiddut
    Skiddut Member ✭✭
    Not sure where to find the amount of attachments but, I do have a lot of them. Almost any transaction that a receipt is provided for. The error I get when copy to create a template I is "File not Copy" immediately. I am doing the Ignore errors option now - has been running for some time. When I do this should I go back a few years? I went back 10, or maybe start with 1/1/22 thru today?
  • markus1957
    You are not going to get much file size reduction from limiting dates. Your internal QDF is about 220 Mb. Your windows file size is more than 10X that due to attachments and/or bloated null transaction records.

If you get an immediate error with Copy, that indicates data file damage that may or may not be recoverable. The fact that validate and super-validate run without generating errors is a good sign the transaction records are intact.  I would let the Copy routine w/ Ignore Errors option work on the full date range of the file for as long as overnight.

I'm curious if the attachment links to your transaction records are intact. Can you still retrieve an attachment from a transaction record and view it?

• Skiddut
    Skiddut Member ✭✭
    I got very little file reduction running the copy routine w/ignore errors. It appeared to take away all of the account web login information. The other thing is the transactions shows the paper clip but when you click on them it shows "There are no attachments available" even though there is a paper clip on the transaction.

When I run the super-validate it does show errors.

QDF:
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Validating your data.
    Missing 2 transaction(s) in account "Life Insur Plcy PK Allstat". Please check Life Insur Plcy PK Allstat account to verify your transaction history and reenter transactions as needed

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 2 transactions. No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

Thanks for any help.
  • markus1957
    edited February 2022
    That's the kind of report I'd have expected in your original post. Earlier you said super-validate was run on the file, but you did not mention any errors. So, are the damaged data records new to the Copied file or were they also listed when you ran super-validate earlier?

In any case, the data file with damaged data records is "toast". There is no known way to repair that file.

Additionally, the links between your attachments and the associated transaction records are broken. The attachments could potentially be retrieved by using an app like 7-Zip to extract the folder, but they will never be associated with transactions again.

If this issue arose recently, you could step back thru your backup files to look for a data file that is free of damaged data records and contains good links to your transaction attachments.  Otherwise Quicken Support gave you the best advice.
  • Skiddut
    Skiddut Member ✭✭
    So what is the risk to continue on as it is now. The program seems to function ok.
  • markus1957
    Skiddut said:
    So what is the risk to continue on as it is now. The program seems to function ok.
    That the file will continue to work until it doesn't and then you will have to start a new file. Not much different than what you are faced with now. Who knows, maybe in the future, Quicken will modify the validation or copy routines in a way that fixes or deletes the damaged records.
  • Skiddut
    Skiddut Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.