Investment Brokerage Setup Not Providing Correct Balances

JoeFQV
JoeFQV Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Investing (Mac)
New to Quicken and having Investment setup issue. Note, I am NOT linking my investment accounts and doing this all manually due to security concerns.

I am having trouble figuring out how the app works for properly entering information from my last brokerage statement and then reconciling to start my tracking in Quicken. I have using Investment and Finance software for decades, but not sure what I'm missing getting this account setup. I’ve tried every approach I can think of, and each one has an aspect that results in incorrect values. Below is summary of what I've tried and the issue(s). Any ideas of what I'm missing or doing wrong ??

Approach 1
1a) Setup Brokerage account with beginning balance equal to my last statement and date
1b) I ‘Add Shares” to this account (to avoid changing the balance, which remains at opening value)
1c) When reconciling I use Statement Ending Balance (same as above and date), I get a ZERO difference, so good
1d) In the “Cleared” window the beginning balance does not show up, only the Buy Shares entries
1e) However left hand summary column shows today’s balance at 2x the actual value

Approach 2
2a) Setup Brokerage account with beginning balance equal to my last statement and date
2b) I “Buy Shares” in this account, ending up with a ZERO balance (i.e. all shares cost match initial beginning balance)
2c) When reconciling I use Statement Ending Balance (same as above and date), but get a negative difference equal to the account beginning balance
2d) In the “Cleared” window the beginning balance does not show up, only the Buy Shares entries
2e) The left hand summary column shows today’s balance correctly though

Approach 3
3a) Setup Brokerage account with ZERO beginning balance
3b) I “Add Shares” in this account, ending up with a ZERO balance
3c) When reconciling I use Statement Ending Balance (same as above and date), but get a negative difference equal to the account beginning balance
3d) The left hand summary column shows today’s balance correctly though

Approach 4
4a) Setup Brokerage account with ZERO beginning balance
4b) I “Buy Shares” in this account, ending up with a negative balance equal to my statement balance (approach makes no sense.. but for completeness sake)
4c) When reconciling I use Statement Ending Balance (same as above and date), but get a negative difference equal to 2x the account beginning balance
4d) The left hand summary column shows a negative balance

I cannot think of another scenario to try and am at loss how this should be so difficult to accomplish.

Joe
This discussion has been closed.