Quicken Connect Renaming / Citibank

I dont know what changed, but automatic renaming done on the Quicken Connect side and not by my own Quicken Program has become a problem. And I dont see what it does so I cannot tell it the rules. Anyone know how to stop it?

Here are examples that occur monthly:

Bank Statement Payee: ACH Electronic Credit
Bank Statement Memo: NAIDRFGERSHNSTRL PAYMENTS
Quicken Connect Payee: Naidrfgershnstrl Payments

Bank Statement Payee: ACH Electronic Debit - 200
Bank Statement Memo: Y1Z5K2
Quicken Connect Payee: - 200 Y1Z5K2
(should be 200 Tenants Corp)

Bank Statement Payee: ACH Electronic Debit - AMER
Bank Statement Memo: A1052
Quicken Connect Payee: - AMER A1052 1
(should be American Express"

The first is actually Quicken being useful. The second and third are not. The heart of the issue is that Quicken only takes the first 26 characters from the payee name, and my bank (Citibank) wastes the field with "ACH Electronic Debit - " or "ACH Electronic Credit - ", such that the actual name only gets 4 characters. On credits or deposits, the actual payee name is in the memo field, so the Quicken Connect renaming rules grab the memo field as the payee and it works. But on debits, all Quicken sees are the first 4 letters of the actual payee name and something unrelated to the page name in the memo field. Quicken Connect renaming is still combining those first 4 characters with the memo. And that is the problem.

Until a few months ago, Quicken did not do the field combining. The result was I had to manually enter names for deposits, but I could use renaming rules I set-up within Quicken to translate, for example, "ACH Electronic Debit - 200" to "200 Tenants Corp" or "ACH Electronic Debit - AMER" to American Express. But with the memo field included, each month the payee name is different and my rules dont work.

Any idea how to stop the renaming?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I dont know what changed, but automatic renaming done on the Quicken Connect side and not by my own Quicken Program has become a problem. And I dont see what it does so I cannot tell it the rules. Anyone know how to stop it?

Here are examples that occur monthly:

Bank Statement Payee: ACH Electronic Credit
    Bank Statement Memo: NAIDRFGERSHNSTRL PAYMENTS
    Quicken Connect Payee: Naidrfgershnstrl Payments

Bank Statement Payee: ACH Electronic Debit - 200
    Bank Statement Memo: Y1Z5K2
    Quicken Connect Payee: - 200 Y1Z5K2
    (should be 200 Tenants Corp)

Bank Statement Payee: ACH Electronic Debit - AMER
    Bank Statement Memo: A1052
    Quicken Connect Payee: - AMER A1052 1
    (should be American Express"

The first is actually Quicken being useful. The second and third are not. The heart of the issue is that Quicken only takes the first 26 characters from the payee name, and my bank (Citibank) wastes the field with "ACH Electronic Debit - " or "ACH Electronic Credit - ", such that the actual name only gets 4 characters. On credits or deposits, the actual payee name is in the memo field, so the Quicken Connect renaming rules grab the memo field as the payee and it works. But on debits, all Quicken sees are the first 4 letters of the actual payee name and something unrelated to the page name in the memo field. Quicken Connect renaming is still combining those first 4 characters with the memo. And that is the problem.

Until a few months ago, Quicken did not do the field combining. The result was I had to manually enter names for deposits, but I could use renaming rules I set-up within Quicken to translate, for example, "ACH Electronic Debit - 200" to "200 Tenants Corp" or "ACH Electronic Debit - AMER" to American Express. But with the memo field included, each month the payee name is different and my rules dont work.

Any idea how to stop the renaming?
    Hello @Perry Gershon,   

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community for further discussion on the subject of Transaction renaming.

It sounds like your CitiBank transactions are being renamed due to the information provided for the Payee field in the transaction downloads, correct? One solution would be to add a QuickFill rule to help rename the transactions in accord with your wishes. 

First, be sure to save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Doing this often while utilizing Quicken software is vital to data preservation and is helpful in a wide variety of situations. 

To add a QuickFill rule, double click a transaction that has been renamed in the register and click Edit Transaction. Enter a new Category, and make sure the Save QuickFill rule... box is checked. Click the drop-down arrow for more QuickFill options. You may then choose to automatically save the Category field or other fields, as well. Then, press 'Return'

Lastly, be sure to check the register for any other transactions that are not named appropriately. Finally, be sure to go into Window > Payees & Rules and delete the old Payee names that you no longer desire to see.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.