quicken changing old transactions between schwab and chase accounts

pamela77
pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
For the last 3 days, every time I do an update, quicken goes in to old transactions from 2017, 18 and 19 and changes them. I have 2 bank accounts at schwab and 3 chase credit cards. Quicken goes in and either changes the bank account on some of the credit card payments, or just turns them into "transfers" with no credit card indicated, or no bank account, or it changes the credit card. I have fixed it (which took a long time, finding the mistaken transactions), then closed quicken, rebooted, and started again, and it did it again. I fixed it and it did it again, slightly differently each time but always involving the same set of payments. It also is changing the bank on a payment to a mastercard in 2020. These are reconciled reviewed transactions in balanced accounts. Thank you for any help! I am on a mac using catalina.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    pamela77 said:
    For the last 3 days, every time I do an update, quicken goes in to old transactions from 2017, 18 and 19 and changes them. I have 2 bank accounts at schwab and 3 chase credit cards. Quicken goes in and either changes the bank account on some of the credit card payments, or just turns them into "transfers" with no credit card indicated, or no bank account, or it changes the credit card. I have fixed it (which took a long time, finding the mistaken transactions), then closed quicken, rebooted, and started again, and it did it again. I fixed it and it did it again, slightly differently each time but always involving the same set of payments. It also is changing the bank on a payment to a mastercard in 2020. These are reconciled reviewed transactions in balanced accounts. Thank you for any help! I am on a mac using catalina.
    Hello @pamela77,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with reconciled transactions being changed. I thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community for additional discussion and support regarding this matter.

Do you save backups regularly? You can always do this by going to File > Save a Backup in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is still open. Doing this often is very important in data preservation and can even be a solution in a number of situations.

Provided that there are available backups, you could restore a backup by going to the same menu mentioned before and navigating to File > Restore from Backup. You should then be able to select a data file from a folder on your computer. If you can, try restoring just prior to the last three days. After doing this, try to reconcile and update your accounts as you would, normally. 

I look forward to your response and hope to continue working with you on this, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I save backups every time I close quicken, and after I saw that there was an issue, I went in and manually fixed everything. Then I saved a backup of the fixed version. I also did hours of work on multiple accounts. Then I closed everything. The next day, when I did an update, quicken went in and changed the same transactions - sometimes putting the payments to the cc to a different bank account, sometimes turning them into transfers. I fixed everything manually, and saved that version and did some more other work. I closed everything and came back the next day and the next thing happened. If I go back 3 days, I will lose a lot of work I have done on other accounts, and I don't have a record of all of those multiple changes.

If I have corrected things manually, why does quicken keep going back in and changing just those transactions over and over, and changing them in slightly different ways each time. Is there another option?

I appreciate your help very much. At this point I am afraid to update because I will have to go in and redo everything again. It is all fixed right now.

Thank you
    Pamela
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    I might add in addition to above, these transactions are between schwab and my chase accounts and also one transaction between schwab and a citi card
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    OK, I went back to a back up on jan27th and restored from that. When I tried to do an update I got the message "can't find corresponding cloud account" and it asked me to set up a new cloud account and said that I would have to reconnect my accounts. Is that normal when restoring from an older backup?
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I save backups every time I close quicken, and after I saw that there was an issue, I went in and manually fixed everything. Then I saved a backup of the fixed version. I also did hours of work on multiple accounts. Then I closed everything. The next day, when I did an update, quicken went in and changed the same transactions - sometimes putting the payments to the cc to a different bank account, sometimes turning them into transfers. I fixed everything manually, and saved that version and did some more other work. I closed everything and came back the next day and the next thing happened. If I go back 3 days, I will lose a lot of work I have done on other accounts, and I don't have a record of all of those multiple changes.

If I have corrected things manually, why does quicken keep going back in and changing just those transactions over and over, and changing them in slightly different ways each time. Is there another option?

I appreciate your help very much. At this point I am afraid to update because I will have to go in and redo everything again. It is all fixed right now.

Thank you
    Pamela
This discussion has been closed.