Cash receipt from second mortgage

Options
HLT
HLT Member ✭✭
I borrowed funds against the property. I setup the loan in Quicken - it was pretty automatic, selected add a new loan and quicken found the lender.
The problem is how to enter the receipt - I received a wire transfer for the net receipts (loan amount minus closing costs).
I cannot see how to enter this receipt in my account register, I thought I would put in a transfer to the loan account in the category field, but the loan account doesn't show as an option.
So right now the inbound transfer shows as 'uncategorized income.'
What is the proper procedure in this case?
Thanks,

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the loan account was created as an offline (manual) loan account, not connected for downloading, so that you have a transaction register to work with: Try changing the loan's Opening Balance transaction to make its category a transfer to your [Checking] account and delete the now duplicate deposit transaction in your checking account.
    If the loan account was created as online, connected loan account: Change the deposit transaction in your checking account to categorize it as a Transfer to itself (Category = [Checking], i.e. the name of your checking account register). This in effect "hides" the transaction from showing as Income or Expense.
  • HLT
    HLT Member ✭✭
    Options
    It was created online, I did the transfer to itself and that worked! Seems like a strange workaround though. Thanks!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HLT said:
    It was created online, I did the transfer to itself and that worked! Seems like a strange workaround though. Thanks!
    That's how Quicken for Windows creates Online Balance transactions in every account. Look in your registers ...
    A transfer to itself hides the transaction from becoming Income or Expense because it really isn't. And having a category name in the transaction also keeps it from being picked as "uncategorized transaction".

This discussion has been closed.