I Renewed on Nov 29, 2021 -- So Why the "MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED" Display in Quicken Today?

I Renewed on Nov 29, 2021 -- So Why the "MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED" Display in Quicken Today? Windows. Quicken R38.29.

Best Answers

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    What does it show when you click on Help/About Quicken?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out 
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    frustratedalyse said:  I downgraded my membership from Deluxe to Starter edition.
    just be aware - that now that you have downgraded to STARTER -
    if every your subscription expires, your Quicken QDF data file will become Read/Only - NO changes....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    What does it show when you click on Help/About Quicken?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out 
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • retird, your question helped clue me in to what might be going on!
    And, wow, Greg The Geek . . . your Edit > Preferences steps worked!

Apparently what happened was something like this . . .

When I called Quicken in November 2021 and renewed my Quicken membership, I downgraded my membership from Deluxe to Starter edition. The Quicken rep told me I wouldn't need to do anything special... that my Deluxe Quicken would magically change from Deluxe to Starter when I opened it. And yet, here I was yesterday, finally noticing with retird's help, that Quicken was STILL my old **Deluxe** edition, and now expired.

Signing out and back in, using my recently-updated email address (boy, my fingers were sure crossed during that phase) got me back on track . . . I see "Starter Edition" at the top, and my entries that I made yesterday displayed fine.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    frustratedalyse said:  I downgraded my membership from Deluxe to Starter edition.
    just be aware - that now that you have downgraded to STARTER -
    if every your subscription expires, your Quicken QDF data file will become Read/Only - NO changes....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• frustratedalyse
    frustratedalyse Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Hi, Ps56k2 . . . Thanks so much for the heads up about the QDF data file becoming read-only if I let my now-Starter-edition expire. I *know* I had brought up that once, a few years ago, I went a few years on an expired (Deluxe) membership and then had went through the file conversion process. He easily COULD have mentioned "Well, you won't be able to do that anymore with the Starter edition."

I was hoping to be able to go at least a couple of years, like before with my Deluxe edition, without renewing -- simply not getting online version updates but still being able to use Quicken Starter.

I went into my Quicken "Membership Status" to hopefully set it for Automatic Renewal, like so many subscription apps let you do, but all it said was "Up to Date."

Is there a spot for Auto Renewal? Or do you have another suggestion for avoiding the lockout you're describing ... besides changing back to Deluxe? I'm quite sick of the price hikes.

Why does Quicken do that -- trigger Read-only for the Starter edition at expiration? They're trying to force people to renew Starter editions, but not Deluxe editions? They certainly don't add any note about this difference in their Edition comparison chart . . . They *could* have said Deluxe has a "Feature" that lets you make entries even after membership expiration. https://www.quicken.com/product-selector
This discussion has been closed.