Locked out of quicken mac big sur - trying to reinstall itself on read-only apfs volume

Options
silverface
silverface Member ✭✭
Quicken won't open on my Mac OSX Big /Sur) when the 6.6.0 update notice appears -if I select "remind me later" Quicken wants to reinstall itself; if I select "cancel" the update notice pops right back up.

But "remind me later" causes a popup that Quicken needs to install itself in the Applications folder; "cancel" stops it from opening at all; :ok results in a popup stating that says "you can't save the file "Quicken (603.41049.100) because the volume (a long list of both letters and numbers inside "" marks that changes every time) is read only -

The only selection is "OK", and Quicken does NOT open, even though it worked fine around 10 days ago!

I've rebooted - same thing happens. I've tried to run it from both applications and the dock - same thing; tried by opening from the file name - same; the backup- same.

IT IS ABSURD THAT THE UPDATE IS *FORCED* WHETHER I WANT IT OR NOT. IF I COULD OPEN QUICKEN WITHOUT THE UPDATE I'D BE FINE.

So I can't open Quicken AT ALL, apparently because it's trying to FORCE the updates. I selected remind me later" the FIRST time because of other problems with Quicken updates. But this one is the worst - if I can't run it, I can't finish my accounting and export the data to Turbotax.

HELP! I don't want to have to file for an extension because of glitchy Quicken software!

[Removed - No Soliciting]

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022
    Options
    It sounds like you might be trying to update Quicken from a user account that doesn't have administrative privileges. Go to the Users & Groups section of System Preferences; does the word Admin appear under your user name in the sidebar?

If not, you'll need to log in to a different account that does have Admin privileges and run Quicken again to install the update.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.