Truist Direct Connect and Quicken

I can't imagine why Truist didn't just adopt the Direct Connect platform that was used by either SunTrust or BB&T and simply change the name to Truist. I suppose that nothing is that simple in this world.
Further, I wonder if anyone on this thread knows how more pressure can be put on either Quicken or Truist to resolve this issue. When I spoke to the Truist Customer Technical Supprt, the agent said that their team is aware of the issue and that they are working on it.
Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @JimC57

Thanks for posting that additional information.  I was able to find that guidance on the Truist website and everything I read indicates that Truist will support Q's Direct Connect connection type BUT you need to "subscribe" to Truist's Direct Connect feature.  The steps seem fairly easy to complete and I would suggest that you go through them and subscribe.  Once you do that, you should be able to change your connection method in Quicken to Direct Connect.

Let me know if you have any followups and also let us know how you make out with getting your Direct Connect connection.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @funding1

Unfortunately, the decision on which method of connection will be used is solely up to the financial institution - Quicken offers three different methods to choose from.  The only suggestion I have to offer is to try and convince the bank to use direct connect.  But given that you've been unilaterally moved from a smaller bank to a much larger one, I would have to think that it will be a David vs, Goliath effort.  If you really want to have Direct Connect, I suspect you'll need to switch banks.  BTW - there are a number of large banks that have Direct Connect - two which come to mind are Chase and PNC.

Good luck going forward!

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JimC57
    JimC57 Member ✭✭
    They even have instructions called Truist Online Banking, Direct Connect transition from SunTrust to Truist.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @JimC57

Thanks for posting that additional information.  I was able to find that guidance on the Truist website and everything I read indicates that Truist will support Q's Direct Connect connection type BUT you need to "subscribe" to Truist's Direct Connect feature.  The steps seem fairly easy to complete and I would suggest that you go through them and subscribe.  Once you do that, you should be able to change your connection method in Quicken to Direct Connect.

Let me know if you have any followups and also let us know how you make out with getting your Direct Connect connection.

Frankx

• John Adams4
    John Adams4 Member ✭✭
    Recently I've had difficulty with Truist transaction checking account downloads. Sometimes the transactions download but the on-line balance does not update. Sometimes the opposite happens - no transaction downloads but the on-line balance updates. Other times the transactions download as credits when they are actually debits. I'm not sure if this is a Truist or a Quicken problem. Of course, I am furious that Truist has failed to incorporate download/transaction capability for my investment wealth management accounts that I enjoyed prior to their merger with SunTrust. My complaints to Wealth Management Truist are not gaining traction.
  • Digit49
    Digit49 Member ✭✭
    I'm having a similar problem with credit card transactions being downloaded from Truist. Older and already cleared transactions are being downloaded again as NEW, about 8-10 at a time (after each one-step update). And the old charges appear as payments, and the old payments appear as charges (backwards from historical reality). The bogus downloaded transactions have to be deleted to prevent corrupting the register. Only happens with Truist CC, not my Truist checking account or any other credit/bank accounts.
  • Digit49
    Digit49 Member ✭✭
    PS: It started very recently when SunTrust was formally brought into Truist, not when BB&T was brought in.
  • AnnM
    AnnM Member
    Truist said Quicken may have a workaround for getting my data from them to load into Quicken. I am trying not to tie myself to Truist with a new Quicken account. How can I do this?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    AnnM said:
    Truist said Quicken may have a workaround for getting my data from them to load into Quicken. I am trying not to tie myself to Truist with a new Quicken account. How can I do this?
    Hello @AnnM

I am sorry for any difficulties and inconveniences caused by this issue with account connections. Thank you for seeking information regarding your accounts here on the Quicken Community.

It sounds as though you are desiring to create and operate a manually-run Quicken Account. In order to do this, navigate to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand corner of the screen denoted by the '+' sign. In the window that appears, click '+ Offline Account.' You may then add transactions to this account by selecting it from the Account List and going to Edit > Transactions > New. I can provide further instructions on moving transactions from an older account into this manually operated account, if necessary.

I hope this is helpful, and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • rsjillions
    rsjillions Member
    I was able to direct connect to Truist but now, the reconcile is never correct - even if i accept the adjustment entry, the next time i try to reconcile (using the online balance) it is off again! i am currently on hold with Truist, but not sure whose issue it is, or how to fix it. Any ideas?
  • frank948
    frank948 Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem with reconcile being off every time.
  • GA_Guy
    GA_Guy Member ✭✭
    > @frank948 said:
    > I have the same problem with reconcile being off every time.

The problem is that Quicken is using the wrong balance from the downloaded transactions file. Quicken is using the AVAILBAL amount (which includes uncleared and not-yet-downloaded transactions which affect your available balance) and the LEDGERBAL amount (which is what your "cleared" balance in Quicken should be.

Many users have reported this issue and so far Quicken support has either said "contact Truist" (to some people) or simply has no answer, basically "too bad for you". It's really not very good customer service.
This discussion has been closed.