Security with wrong value daily - manually update and it is the right price

Options
I have a security (IVV - ISHARES S&P 500) that when I use "One Step Update" the per share value in Quicken is updated to roughly 1/2 the market value. When I open holdings and go to that security and click on "Update" it is then changed to the actual market value. This happens every day. Is anyone else experiencing this issue or figured out how to solve it? The whole point is to not to have to do things manually...

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @smithbrianr

It sounds like that security is not automatically updating because the setting is not correct.  To fix - go to "Tools" > "Security List".  Then page-down to locate that security on the list, and check the "Download Quotes" box.  That should fix your problem going forward.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• smithbrianr
    smithbrianr Member ✭✭
    Options
    The security (IVV) does have the "download quotes" box checked. A different issue happened this morning - after One Step Update the value per share was set to $199.92 when the actual market value is $427.34. Typically when I go to the security and press update it will reflect the actual value but this morning it is not updating at all. This is one of my larger investments so it makes a big difference in my account values.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @smithbrianr

Thanks for the additional information.

Assuming that you have other similar investments (i.e. other funds, stocks, etc.) - have you noticed any others where the prices seem to be incorrect?  Also, have you noticed any other accounts, investments or otherwise, where you are seeing unusual activity in Quicken?

If the answer to both questions is "no" it is possible that this security's price history may be corrupted in Quicken.  If so, I would suggest that you try the following (AFTER making a new backup copy of your Quicken datafile - just in case):

1) Go to "Tools" > "Security List"; 
    2) Click on this security (IVV) and press the "Delete" button on the far right hand side;
    3) In the pop-up > Click "OK";
    4) Close the window and exit from the Quicken application;
    5) Startup Quicken > Go to "Tools" > "Security List";
    6) Click on the "Add Security" button at the bottom left;
    7) Enter "IVV" in the search box and then highlight it in the drop-down > click "Next";
    8) Verify that the information in the pop-up is correct > click "Done";
    9) In the "Security List" double click on the security name > in the pop-up click on the "More" button > then select "Download historical prices" 
    10) In the "Get Historical Prices" window > click "Clear All" > page down and find "IVV" and click on it > select "Five Years" in the "Get prices for..." drop down > click "Update Now".

You should then review/scan the downloaded prices and the graph to determine whether the prices appear to be reasonable.  Then, going forward, keep an eye on this security in case the prior behavior returns.

Let me know of you have any followups and how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.