One of my bank account will not get accurate reporting

SCN
SCN Member ✭✭
I have two issues with a bank account. 1st problem. I have automatic paycheck entry on the account. I recently went back to 2013 and updated the employer matching for 401K. I previously did not enter it. From 2013 to 2020, only 1 of the two amounts (My contribution and employer) is transferring to the 401K. From March of 2020, both are transferring. I had to do a manual entry in the 401K for the matching for the older transactions. 2nd problem, now my reports for the bank account are showing my most recent paycheck for all automatic entries going back to 2013. The register is correct, just all reports against that bank account are wrong. It does not matter what type of report, balance sheet, P&L, bank register report, they are all wrong. Any ideas how to fix? I feel the two issues are related in that I recently updated all those transactions. Some how the reports might be using some type of internal transaction date from when it was last touched... I just don't know.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @SCN,

Just to make sure I understand, I want to restate what you said above:

You wanted to add the employer's contribution to your 401(k) plan to Quicken - starting in 2013 and continuing to the current date.  To accomplish this - you edited each payroll transaction for that time frame (2013 - 2022) only to add the employer's match.

If the above is correct, it seems as though those edits (to use a technical term) messed things up.  To be honest, if, before you tool those steps, you had asked me how I would make the changes that you wanted to make, I would have not recommended changing the payroll transactions. Rather, I would have had you make new entries only to record the employer match and leave the payroll entries alone.  Not only is this a simpler approach, it also reflects a correct actual transaction (since the employer's "making a matching contribution" is actually a separate transaction and not part of the payroll transaction that pays you).

That being said - did you happen to make a backup before you made all those changes to the payroll transactions?  If so, I suggest that you restore the backup and start over with separate new entries to record the employer match (increase the cash in the 401(k) plan and post the transaction to "MiscInc" category.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SCN,

Can you tell me exactly "what you changed"/ or what the "exact entry was that you used to record" each of the "matching employer contribution"?  It seems like that is where the problem lies.  And I agree with you that the two "problems" you talk about are related.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• SCN
    SCN Member ✭✭
    Hello Frankx, Sure, I went back in the bank register to each of the paycheck entries. I clicked on open split transaction window which brings up the edit current paycheck screen. I then entered an amount in the employer match line and saved the transaction. I did this for all the paycheck lines going back to 2013. It did not change the amounts for the past transactions other than to add the match. When I just did it again to check my steps, it updated the register with the current paycheck amounts. So that is where the problem occurs. Now I need to figure out how to fix it.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @SCN,

Just to make sure I understand, I want to restate what you said above:

You wanted to add the employer's contribution to your 401(k) plan to Quicken - starting in 2013 and continuing to the current date.  To accomplish this - you edited each payroll transaction for that time frame (2013 - 2022) only to add the employer's match.

If the above is correct, it seems as though those edits (to use a technical term) messed things up.  To be honest, if, before you tool those steps, you had asked me how I would make the changes that you wanted to make, I would have not recommended changing the payroll transactions. Rather, I would have had you make new entries only to record the employer match and leave the payroll entries alone.  Not only is this a simpler approach, it also reflects a correct actual transaction (since the employer's "making a matching contribution" is actually a separate transaction and not part of the payroll transaction that pays you).

That being said - did you happen to make a backup before you made all those changes to the payroll transactions?  If so, I suggest that you restore the backup and start over with separate new entries to record the employer match (increase the cash in the 401(k) plan and post the transaction to "MiscInc" category.

Frankx

• SCN
    SCN Member ✭✭
    Frankx,

Fortunately, I do have a backup prior to when I made those entries and I agree the easier approach is to just make an entry to the 401K account and not mess with the prior transactions. I did restore a previous backup and will go on to make all the new updates and I should be good. Thank you for the advice. I will state that it appears that quicken is not working correctly if I bring up a previous payroll transaction, it should should show the transactions that were recorded and it appears to bring up my current paycheck entries. Now that I am aware of the issue, I can work around it.
This discussion has been closed.