"Sync Error - Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers. Try again..." Q Mac

mwbrand
mwbrand Member
I spent over an hour on the phone with Quicken for Mac technical support yesterday as they "escalated" my problem to their top-tier support level. I was told they could not give me an ETA on a resolution to my problem to to search for this error message here on Quicken Community in order to get updates on a possible ETA. When I searched for this phrase, I was taken to a thread that has been closed out saying the problem had been resolved on March 1st. But, it has not been resolved for my case, and I really, really need to be able to successfully download transactions from my bank and other accounts so that I can get the information I need to my CPA for my income tax return! Please help!

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022
    Just a thought: have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the account? Have you tried downloading a QFX file from the bank's website and importing that file?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mwbrand
    mwbrand Member
    Yes, I have tried connecting and disconnecting, and have even deleted the software and re-installed it. Apparently, this is a problem that other users have had for a while, as illustrated by the other thread that recently was marked “resolved.”
  • mwbrand
    mwbrand Member
    It is incredibly frustrating for this to be happening at tax time here in the US, of all moments!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried closing Quicken and rebooting your Mac? Something could have messed up your internet settings ...
  • mwbrand
    mwbrand Member
    Yes. I have tried all of that. This has been going on for weeks now. Quicken tech support told me they have "escalated" it to their highest level, but I have never heard any more.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were using a Windows PC, I'd suggest checking your Antivirus software, Firewall settings or any other kind of third party software that one would use to protect yourself from hackers. Something appears to be blocking Quicken from contacting the servers.
    What do you use on your Mac with respect to virus and hacker protection? Are there any log files or debug tool that you can use to track internet traffic?
  • mwbrand
    mwbrand Member
    UPDATE - Problem solved!!

FYI...Just received a call from a super nice tech at Quicken support and we found the problem.

I migrated from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac several years ago. Having lived out of the country for an extended period, I used to have several accounts in foreign currencies (Quicken for Windows supported multiple currencies with a "blended" reporting functioned that adjust numbers according to exchange rate values.) Those accounts, although long since closed, were still "hidden" in my data file as accounts in those foreign currencies.

All it took to fix my problem was to temporarily re-open those old, foreign currency accounts, change their currency setting to US dollars, and then close them again. Once that was done, everything began downloading normally!
  • nielran
    nielran Unconfirmed, Member
    mwbrand -- you are my hero! I've had this problem for years. Like you, I migrated from Windows and had lived overseas. Finally fixed!
  • nwbrand- likewise! This is fantastic. I tried rebuilding my file with export than import of data only to find major distortions. I have had exactly the same problem and circumstances with multiple foreign currency accounts from over 20 years ago migrated from Windows etc. Totally solved with your solution! Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.