Moving data between Mac and Windows version

jeanderson
jeanderson Member ✭✭✭
I currently use Quicken for Windows in a Parallels machine running Windows inside my Mac.  I tried Quicken for the Mac a couple of years ago and was disappointed.  I remember the migration from Windows to the Mac version was fairly straightforward.  But I got tired of the shortcomings of the Mac version and went back to Windows.  When I decided to go back to the Windows version, I remember there was no direct conversion possible.  I had to re-enter all my transactions for about 6 months.

So my question is: Is there a way to convert a Quicken for Mac data file to Quicken for Windows.  If so, I might be tempted to try the Mac version again.  The only reason I have a Parallels VM on my Mac is for Quicken.

Edit to add: I've been a Quicken user for decades, going back to the earliest versions for DOS.  My data file is huge with a long history.

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think there has been any improvement in moving a Quicken Mac file to Quicken Windows in the last couple years.

If you want to try out Quicken Mac again I would suggest making a brand new file & using the two programs in parallel for a month or two to see if the Mac version will meet your needs. Yes, it's a bit of extra work but it isn't too bad (I do the same thing every time there's a new version of Quicken Mac in beta test). That way, if you decide that you still want to stick with the Windows version you still have an up to date Windows file.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I Agree with Jon. And to clarify, when he suggest a new file, you can convert your Windows file to Quicken Mac, make sure your balances and holdings are correct, and then use the two programs in parallel for awhile. If you decide Quicken Mac meets your needs, you can either stop using Quicken Windows if everything in Quicken Mac is fully complete and up-to-date, or you can re-convert from Windows one last time if that data is more complete or up-to-date. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jeanderson
    jeanderson Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try the Mac version again, but still maintain the Windows version as well.  I'd really like to get away from having a VM on my Mac, just for Quicken.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jeanderson If you run into a problem not knowing how to do something you do in Quicken Windows, be sure to use this forum to search for/ask for help. Sometimes the answer will be "it can't be done in Quicken Mac", but more often there will be a way to do what you want which may just be different than what you're used to.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.