"File is NOT copied"

Stu
Stu Member ✭✭✭
I have a data file with problems that are preventing online updates from Charles Schwab & Co.  Quicken support determined that the file is probably corrupt to some degree (having been through Validate and Super-validate) and that it is probably only good enough to be used as an archive and a new file should be created to replace it.  The file has 20 years of data from many accounts and is needed to analyze historical investments and cash flow etc.  In past years I have created copies and cleared banking transactions for archive purposes but retained investment data permanently in the active versions.  I'd like to create a copy now but when I do File>Copy or Backup file>Create a copy or template, Quicken goes through the motions for a while but then signals File NOT copied and there is no copy created.
There used to be a feature in Quicken such that if SHIFT+CTRL were held with a click on Create copy or template, Quicken would proceed with the copy and ignore errors.  However, I can't get that to work any more - I'm on Quicken Premier R39.23 running in a Parallels Windows 10 environment on a Mac, which I have been using for all those years.

How do I get Quicken to ignore errors and create a copy of the file so it is safe to use as an archive?

Creating a backup of the file as an alternate approach to archiving is a possibility but I would rather just have the copy and try to retain as many of the old transaction I can for a new file.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The feature still appears to exist. Choose "Create a copy or template" and hold Ctrl+Shift while clicking the Next button. Then you still have one more dialog to traverse.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. But sadly it doesn't work on my system.    The "Next" button has no action in "Create a copy or template" when Ctrl+Shift are held.  I thought the issue might be that Parallels isn't passing the Ctrl+Shift through to Windows but the fact that they work on Validate to get to Super-Validate means that is not the problem.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    That's strange. Maybe try holding Ctrl+Shift through the whole dialog sequence and hopefully it will get through somehow. Native Win10 still shows it so it must be an emulation problem.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks again.  I made sure that the keyboard mapping was correct and then tried a variety of keys.  For some reason when I held just the SHIFT key (i.e. without Crtl), it worked!  It brought up the "ignore errors" window and copied successfully.  Just another quirk of Parallels, I guess.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Yes, here too just Shift works. Well done.

This discussion has been closed.