Password

Quicken is now asking for a password to open data file. I never set a password? When I click on password it defaults to my quicken folder.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Jlo said:
    Quicken is now asking for a password to open data file. I never set a password? When I click on password it defaults to my quicken folder.
    Hello @Jlo

I am sorry to hear about this sudden data file password request. Thank you for reaching out to us about this problem here on the Quicken Community.

When did this issue begin? Also, how often do you save backups? We recommend saving backups frequently by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done regularly, there should be recent backups available that can be restored by going into the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File... I am curious to see if the behavior you are describing continues after you restore from a backup saved just prior to when this issue began.

I hope to hear from you once more about any changes in the situation that you notice, should you have the chance to speak with us again on the Quicken Community. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jlo
    Jlo Member ✭✭
    Tried to use the chat service but they could not figure out the issue either. So I just updated a month old backup file
  • Quicken Jared
    edited May 2022
    Jlo said:
    Tried to use the chat service but they could not figure out the issue either. So I just updated a month old backup file
    @Jlo

Thank you for following up with me about this. I am sorry to hear about your experience with chat support and that this did not yield a resolution.

Just so I am clear about my assumptions: by indicating that a backup file was being updated, I am assuming that said backup has also been restored. What seems to be occurring after a backup file was restored? Is this behavior continuing? I do hope that everything seems to be functioning as expected, currently.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jlo
    Jlo Member ✭✭
    So far the backup file has been fine. i has to update the transactions of course. Still concerned how a password got set with my data file as I have never added one. On-line support originally had me send them the file to remove the password but that did not work. They theorized it could have something to do with my one-drive cloud backup process. At that point I just went to the old file.
  • Quicken Jared
    Jlo said:
    So far the backup file has been fine. i has to update the transactions of course. Still concerned how a password got set with my data file as I have never added one. On-line support originally had me send them the file to remove the password but that did not work. They theorized it could have something to do with my one-drive cloud backup process. At that point I just went to the old file.
    Hello @Jlo,

I am glad to hear that the situation has improved. Thank you for getting back to me and providing further information about this change in circumstances.

I do want to reiterate that storing backups and data files in cloud-based storage services can result in erratic program behavior and data damage.

Feel free to reach out again with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thanks again, 

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.