Link Brokerage Account has a cash balance

Options
pdrxx1
pdrxx1 Unconfirmed ✭✭
I have a brokerage account with a linked cash account.  The total in the cash account is correct.  The securities in the brokerage account are correct.  If I go to the holdings screen for the brokerage account, it shows a cash balance of $9000.  It should be $0.  My net worth is off by the $9000.  How do I remove the erroneous cash balance in my linked brokerage account?

I am running Quicken Premier R40.21 build 27.1.40.21 on Windows 11. 

I have run a 'Validate and Repair file' with "Validate File' (No errors), 'Rebuild investing lots (1 old rebuilt) and 'Correct investing price history' checked.   

Trying the 'Update cash balance...' option in the Actions for the brokerage account gets a message 'You cannot reconcile or update the balance of a CMA-linked investment account because its cash balance is always zero.  To reconcile the cash balance, go to the linked bank account.'  The linked bank account does not have the 'Update cash balance...' option.  Where do I go next?

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing you can try is to remove and then add back in the linked cash account.  You do that from the edit details screen of the brokerage account by unticking the option to show cash in a linked account, then ticking it back on again after the cash account is removed.  Please BACKUP FIRST to be safe.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• pdrxx1
    pdrxx1 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    I backed up my file and changed the 'Show cash in a checking account' from Yes to No.  It took about 15 minutes.  I then tried to change that value back to Yes and it said there were too many transactions.  I restored the backup and I am back to the $9000 in the brokerage account.

Thanks... it was worth a try.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry it didn't work.  I have never run into that limitation before.  

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is that $9K showing in  both places on the Holdings screen?   Because mine is showing the securities value and  the  LCA  value separately:
    Also what are  you seeing in the Portfolio view (CTRL-U)?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• pdrxx1
    pdrxx1 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    The Linked Cash Balance is the same value as the linked account.  The Cash Balance is $9000 and I have no idea where it comes from.
  • pdrxx1
    pdrxx1 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    In the portfolio view, the cash in the account is a total of the Linked Cash Balance and the Cash Balance.
This discussion has been closed.