Quicken Bill Manager and Chase Two-Factor Authentication

Does anybody else use Chase? This used to work for me in Quicken but the two factor authentication (2FA) seems to be an issue. The payments get cancelled because of the 2FA. It tells me login failed. But I go to the Chase website and everything is good.

It seems like every time I like an "Update All" is performed which I seems like I need to do many times to get the next bill information my other accounts...it seems like Quicken changes somethings because it says my Chase is locked and I need to login and when I do I get another 2FA text code to enter.

Is anybody else experiencing similar issues with Chase and even other billers?

Answers

  • maxwelwp
    maxwelwp Member, Windows Beta Beta
    I have 2 CC accounts with Chase. MFA seemed to work when not setup as online biller. I tried setting up as online biller but could never get Quicken to setup. It always thought I had auto-pay enabled although it was off at Chase. After several attempts, online biller repairs and cloud data resets, I finally gave up removed them. Went back to auto draft from my bank.

    Online biller setup also fails with U.S. Bank mortgage, Capital One Card services, and my electric association although all are listed as available online billers.

    At this point only 3 of 8 online billers seem to work.

    “Never stop dreaming, never stop believing, never give up, never stop trying, and 
    never stop learning.”
    Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Hello everyone,

    I am sorry that you are being affected by these issues with two-factor authentication and online billers. Thank you for reaching out about this on the Quicken Community.

    I want to be sure to draw your attention to this Open Alert regarding Chase and the Bill Manager feature, as it is likely related to your situation. You can follow the thread linked here for any additional details and any future updates.

    I hope this is helpful.

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Hi and thanks for that information *but* as I mentioned and as the other mentioned it's not *just* Chase.

    As solution, needs to be provided.

    In fact, Quicken has been repeatedly saying they are investigating and cannot provide an ETA. This has been going on for what - almost 8 months? It was working before like in Feb of this year and now, it's not. And it was reported that it wasn't working before either. I cannot even make a payment though Quicken.

    This is all beyond unacceptable especially when it's starting to cascade to other online billers.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    davis.mc said:
    Hi and thanks for that information *but* as I mentioned and as the other mentioned it's not *just* Chase.

    As solution, needs to be provided.

    In fact, Quicken has been repeatedly saying they are investigating and cannot provide an ETA. This has been going on for what - almost 8 months? It was working before like in Feb of this year and now, it's not. And it was reported that it wasn't working before either. I cannot even make a payment though Quicken.

    This is all beyond unacceptable especially when it's starting to cascade to other online billers.
    Hello @davis.mc,       

    Thank you for reaching out once again. 

    Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure that your data file is being stored on your computer, and not an external drive or cloud-based storage service. Erratic behavior or data damage have been associated with storing the data files in these locations. 

    I hope to hear more from you soon.

    Thanks,

    Quicken Jared 


  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Yes, it's stored on the local - it's backed up to a NAS.

    The really, really, interesting thing...one of my payments to Chase that I submitted yesterday - after it canceled it like 2 other times - actually went through.

    This is so inconsistent. It's needs to be completely consistent and functional. Not - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

    I am still waiting for a processing of a Dish Network payment that has been processing for over a day now as well and that is even after the first time the transaction was canceled.

    Inconsistency in a financial transaction is beyond problematic.

    This needs to get resolved.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    davis.mc said:
    Yes, it's stored on the local - it's backed up to a NAS.

    The really, really, interesting thing...one of my payments to Chase that I submitted yesterday - after it canceled it like 2 other times - actually went through.

    This is so inconsistent. It's needs to be completely consistent and functional. Not - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

    I am still waiting for a processing of a Dish Network payment that has been processing for over a day now as well and that is even after the first time the transaction was canceled.

    Inconsistency in a financial transaction is beyond problematic.

    This needs to get resolved.
    Hello @davis.mc

    I am sorry to hear that this problem is affecting multiple accounts, and that it is persisting. Thank you for continuing to provide additional details about the issue.

    First, how often do you save backups? We recommend creating backups often by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Provided that this has done frequently, you should have recent backups available that were saved just prior to when these issues emerged; I recommend restoring a backup by navigating to File > Restore a Backup File... in the same menu just mentioned. 

    If the problems are continuing after a backup has been restored, I recommend saving another backup, then proceeding through the instructions provided below: 

    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing about your results, if you can check back with us. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 


  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared,

    I have it set to backup after running Quicken 4 times.

    But I cannot really do that because it's unclear on when it started. And the fact that it sometimes is working.

    I have validated the file already because I posted the first message. And no issues found on that. I left it closed for more than 5 seconds as well...it was more like a minute.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    davis.mc said:
    Hi Jared,

    I have it set to backup after running Quicken 4 times.

    But I cannot really do that because it's unclear on when it started. And the fact that it sometimes is working.

    I have validated the file already because I posted the first message. And no issues found on that. I left it closed for more than 5 seconds as well...it was more like a minute.
    Hello @davis.mc ,     

    I do apologize that this issue is continuing even after the data file was validated. Thank you for reaching back out to me with your results, and for continuing to work on this problem with me.

    We do have some additional measures we can take. First, save a backup once more, then try super-validating the data file using the steps provided below:

    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

    One other option left to us - if the problem remains after the above is attempted - is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

    With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing back from you about your results. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 

  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I took a backup and did a super-validate. It lost all the bill manager connections. I went to add that back in and it said I cannot because there are pending/processing transactions.

    Which I do have pending/processing transactions but I lost all the dates now. I know what is sometime within the next 24 hours.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    davis.mc said:
    I took a backup and did a super-validate. It lost all the bill manager connections. I went to add that back in and it said I cannot because there are pending/processing transactions.

    Which I do have pending/processing transactions but I lost all the dates now. I know what is sometime within the next 24 hours.
    @davis.mc,   


    Thanks again for maintaining communications about this ongoing problem. I am sorry that this issue is so persistent. 

    At this stage, it would be best to reach out to Quicken Support, as they are are in possession of certain tools with which to assist you in resolving this problem with the pending transactions in the Bill Manager. You can reach them with the contact information provided in this link. 

    Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.