One Step Update - very slow

dnewt
dnewt Member ✭✭
Several years ago, it used to be really quick, maybe a minute or less for all the accounts. Now it's painfully slow, particularly with MFA enabled. I have 7 logins and maybe a dozen associated bank accounts. I keep up to date with versions but it's been this way for a couple of years now. I have a relatively new PC and high speed internet.

Any of the ones without multifactor authentication update almost instantly. For the ones without, the flow looks like this:

- Login/bank A is processed.
- Quicken prompts for where to send the MFA code to. I pick my cell phone.
- The MFA code arrives a few seconds later to my phone.
- I enter the MFA code into quicken... and it just sits, for like a full minute.
- Repeat this for the other banks (so the total time is long and I have to sit here waiting to type in the MFA codes).

I've verified my file, no issues there.
Thanks for any ideas you may have...

Comments

  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    dnewt said:
    Several years ago, it used to be really quick, maybe a minute or less for all the accounts. Now it's painfully slow, particularly with MFA enabled. I have 7 logins and maybe a dozen associated bank accounts. I keep up to date with versions but it's been this way for a couple of years now. I have a relatively new PC and high speed internet.

    Any of the ones without multifactor authentication update almost instantly. For the ones without, the flow looks like this:

    - Login/bank A is processed.
    - Quicken prompts for where to send the MFA code to. I pick my cell phone.
    - The MFA code arrives a few seconds later to my phone.
    - I enter the MFA code into quicken... and it just sits, for like a full minute.
    - Repeat this for the other banks (so the total time is long and I have to sit here waiting to type in the MFA codes).

    I've verified my file, no issues there.
    Thanks for any ideas you may have...
    Hello @dnewt

    I am sorry to hear about this issue with slow updates. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community.

    Did this problem begin recently? How often do you shut the computer off, completely? I recommend uninstalling the Quicken software by making use of the steps listed in this Support Article, then removing Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. Next, you can make use of the steps listed here to reinstall the software.  

    I look forward to your reply. 

    Thank you, 

    Quicken Jared 
  • dnewt
    dnewt Member ✭✭
    As noted, it's been happening for a couple of years now. If I recall correctly, Quicken changed the back-end bank integration processing a while back, and as part of that everyone had to re-connect to their banks, including me. It was after this that the problem started. Maybe because at that time many banks were requiring multifactor authentication at that point.

    My computer gets shut off at least once a week -- and I typically only access quicken every 2-3 weeks, so it's definitely getting reset regularly.

    If I uninstall and reinstall, will all of my quicken app preferences be lost? Will all of my bank login information get lost also?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    dnewt said:
    As noted, it's been happening for a couple of years now. If I recall correctly, Quicken changed the back-end bank integration processing a while back, and as part of that everyone had to re-connect to their banks, including me. It was after this that the problem started. Maybe because at that time many banks were requiring multifactor authentication at that point.

    My computer gets shut off at least once a week -- and I typically only access quicken every 2-3 weeks, so it's definitely getting reset regularly.

    If I uninstall and reinstall, will all of my quicken app preferences be lost? Will all of my bank login information get lost also?
    Hello @dnewt,     

    Thank you for following up with me about this. I am sorry to hear about this problem remaining for this extended period.

    To answer your question: no, the uninstallation process will not remove your data and preference information, nor will your banking credentials. The program, itself, will simply be removed.

    I hope that is helpful. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • dnewt
    dnewt Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the additional info.
    I uninstalled, rebooted, and then reinstalled. No change in behavior.

    As an example, I tried updating just a single bank (that has 4 accounts tied to it). After entering my MFA passcode, it took 1 minute 7 seconds before I could see quicken refreshing the balances and a few seconds later the dialog went away. During this time one of the CPU cores was pegged.

    Is there some kind of internal sort or comparison process that has to happen between the downloaded data and the existing account data, right after download? It's this process that seems to be slow.
  • dnewt
    dnewt Member ✭✭
    My quicken QDF data file is 106Mb. Is that unusually large?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    dnewt said:
    My quicken QDF data file is 106Mb. Is that unusually large?
    Hello @dnewt

    I am sorry that this issue is ongoing. Thank you for continuing to follow up with me about these problems and for letting me know what is happening.

    That file size does not appear to be of inhibitively large size to me. At this stage, I recommend reaching out to Quicken Support using the information in the link provided here. They possess unique resources and tools that will enable them to better assist you with this issue. 

    I hope this is helpful. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wherever possible (or allowed by the bank) I would recommend you turn off MFA (2FA) for all your Express Web Connect - connected bank accounts, to allow both Quicken on your PC and the Quicken/Intuit download servers to process transaction downloads without waiting for your MFA responses.
  • dnewt
    dnewt Member ✭✭
    @UKR, that would disable 2FA for all types of logins, not just quicken. In this day and age, 2FA is a must to prevent fraud and theft.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can fight one windmill or the other. If fast, unattended, uninterrupted One Step Update is what you want, then a complicated password might be preferable to 2FA ... IMHO. Your decision entirely.
This discussion has been closed.