Multiple transactions downloaded from the same bank with same 'name'

Options
CatWomanDiana
CatWomanDiana Member ✭✭
I have several credit cards issued by the same bank (*). All are paid online, and all come through my bank with the same 'name' - "ACH Debit BANK CREDIT CRD - EPAY".

So far I have not found a way to have them specify which card the transaction belongs to,
so if I pay, for instance, $100 to each card, Quicken, of course, can't figure out which one it belongs to either. After 'losing' a transaction 2 months ago, I've found a workaround that requires I actually think - numbering the cards, and putting that number in the cents. Card 01 gets paid $100.01, etc.

Has anyone else found a way around this?

If anyone is wondering - I have those because I had different banks that I used for different types of transactions when I was working; plus Visa or MC; and this bank bought up all of them over the years.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @catwomandiana - a payment is usually matched up by date and amount.  I have a similar situation where I have two credit cards from the same bank and they come through with the same payee name.  What I have done to get around any issues is to make each card have a distinct payment date.  I pay one on the 5th and the other one on the 20th.  I have not had any issues with making payments this way.  The other thing you can do is have the payments automatically taken by the CC issuer.  This way you would not need to worry about which card is being paid and when.  They will take the payment on due date for each card.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions such as your credit card payments into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a few days before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download matching process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

• CatWomanDiana
    CatWomanDiana Member ✭✭
    Options
    Damian - The problem is that I don't like to do just one transaction per day - I pick a day and do as many as I can. So I will have 5 transactions for BANK on the same day - often the same amount. So the keys are duplicated (BANK::mm/dd/yyyy::$100.00). But what I'm hearing you say is there is no way to add another key field (preference would be last 4 of the account) (yes, I was a DB programmer)(and yes - I've spent some time over the last 30 years wishing I could access the code and change some parameters or create my own reports from the raw tables).

UKR - I do enter them manually - it's matching up the downloaded transactions for MyBank that is the problem. BANK transactions are not of a sufficient quantity to download - it's all done manually; but MyBank transactions are where the problem lies. And the lack of unique name for the transactions in my bank is the issue. MyBank doesn't care if I have one credit card and am creating 10 payments to one card, or one payment to 10 cards.

I think what I'm seeing is my workaround in paying with different cents value is the only option.

Thanks, all!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    Options
         [deleted by Damian]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    Options
    [deleted by Damian]
  • CatWomanDiana
    CatWomanDiana Member ✭✭
    Options
    Damian - I see you deleted 2 comments (I got the notice of them by email). If you're still wondering, and don't want it on this, send me a message, or if the comment on your profile will send a private message, let me know that....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @catwomandiana - no worries!  I deleted my comments once I saw that you where going to go with your workaround.  My questions and comments would have pulled you in another direction and I didn't want to cause further confusion.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @CatWomanDiana, excellent creative solution numbering the accounts and using the cents in the transaction amount to match up the payment to the account!

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.