What is the law around expiring activation codes that had no expiration dates when sold?

Options
The 2018 “version” of Quicken Home & Business (the first year of the subscription/“membership” scheme) were sold with activation codes that did not have expiration dates/timing. Not on the packaging and not in the terms and conditions that were in effect when the 2018 versions were created/sold. I found one of these codes that I purchased says it has expired.

Does anyone here have (or know someone with) specific knowledge of the law as it relates to situations like this? [Removed - Rant] They received revenue for selling these activation codes. Regardless of whether the buyers keep the codes, gift them, or sell them to others, there is no additional cost to Quicken for keeping those codes active. Add that to the policy of not allowing subscriptions to be renewed/extended until the last six months of the subscription [Removed - Speculation]

I see the other threads about contacting Quicken and having a receipt, but I do not have the receipts for the original purchases. Even if I did have a receipt, how would Quicken know if the receipt I had specifically applied to the activation code I have? [Removed - Rant/Disruptive/Speculation]

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 2018 “version” of Quicken Home & Business (the first year of the subscription/“membership” scheme) were sold with activation codes that did not have expiration dates/timing. Not on the packaging, not inside the packaging, not on the activation card, and not in the terms and conditions that were in effect when the 2018 versions were created/sold. I found one of these codes that I purchased says it has expired.

Does anyone here have (or know someone with) specific knowledge of the law as it relates to situations like this? Quicken is worse than gift cards that used to lose value over time if they were not used. They received revenue for selling these activation codes. Regardless of whether the buyers keep the codes, gift them, or sell them to others, there is no additional cost to Quicken for keeping those codes active. Add that to the policy of not allowing subscriptions to be renewed/extended until the last six months of the subscription, and you have an intentional ploy by Quicken to make a portion of their profit by not actually performing the service for which they have already been paid.

I see the other threads about contacting Quicken and having a receipt, but I do not have the receipts for the original purchases. Even if I did have a receipt, how would Quicken know if the receipt I had specifically applied to the activation code I have? [Removed - Speculation] [Removed - Disruptive]  

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Hello @AlsoDisappointed,       

I am sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. Thanks for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community.

If you possess the receipt from the purchase, Quicken Support can work with you on this matter if you reach out to them with the following link. Otherwise, Support may use any available activation code to ascertain where and when the product was purchased and provide further assistance using that information. You may also review our Terms of Service in the link provided here

I hope that is helpful.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.