Locked out of Quicken

Options
I have used Quicken on this PC for a while now so why after functioning properly for a while am I suddenly locked out of my data. We should have a way to bypass this and correct something later - stop preventing me from my data while you can't check for an update?!?!?!

Could not parse the URL "%updatepath%/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.

There is no spaces in my path to appdata, C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GaryL917 said:
    I have used Quicken on this PC for a while now so why after functioning properly for a while am I suddenly locked out of my data. We should have a way to bypass this and correct something later - stop preventing me from my data while you can't check for an update?!?!?!

Could not parse the URL "%updatepath%/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.

There is no spaces in my path to appdata, C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp
    100% guaranteed no space in or at the end of the Name portion?

If the user name is not the cause, try to enable and use the hidden Administrator account.
    See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/ how to do that. Supposed to work in all Windows versions.

Alternatively please consider changing the Temp folder:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables both the TEMP and TMP variables usually point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp

I recommend you create a new folder, C:\Temp, and change both the TEMP and TMP user environment variables to point to C:\Temp, reboot Windows, verify the new Temp folder is now in use and try your Quicken installation again

• GaryL917
    GaryL917 Member
    Options
    Yes, correct, no spaces in that path. Both my Temp and Tmp SYSTEM variables point to c:\Windows\Temp - my user Tmp and Temp variables point to the user path I entered above.

There should be a way to bypass checking for an update just to use the application instead of locking you out of your own data, only to have to reinstall.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Temp path in the User Variables ... it exists on disk and isn't full of garbage?
    If you know how to make changes, try creating a new Temp folder, setting the User Variables to the new name and rebooting.
    There is a way to control if an update is installed or not: Change the Control Panel / User Account Control settings from "Never notify" to one of the middle settings (of 4). This will give you a popup when Quicken or another app is trying to install software. You can decline the request from Quicken if it comes at an inopportune time.
  • GaryL917
    GaryL917 Member
    Options
    Yea, there is a lot of crap in the temp folder but it exists at that location. I'll create a new one and change the user variable.

The update I'm talking about is the Quicken update. This error is coming up when you open quicken because it is trying to see if there is a sw update: "Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load" followed by the message I put out there originally. So I'm prevented from seeing my own data just because it can't run the file it needs to complete a check for updates? At least that's how I'm reading it.
  • GaryL917
    GaryL917 Member
    Options
    I just reinstalled, faster and I know it should work. Hopefully I will be clear of this - thanks for the conversation.
This discussion has been closed.