Not getting connection method when changing from direct connect to express web connect

Options
MES83
MES83 Member ✭✭
My bank changed from direct connect to express web connect and I'm trying to change the connection method on my accounts. One worked perfectly. The next one doesn't show me the connection method to choose from and goes directly to asking for my credentials. Once I enter that, then I get the list of accounts but no way to link it to the account I'm changing the connection method. If I click next, it brings me back to the account list without updating the connection selection. Nothing changed. What's going on?

Answers

• MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Actually, I thought that one worked perfectly - it did not. When I looked at the account "download transactions" tab, it was asking me to set up the account. Just as above, I see the request for credentials, and when I enter that I get the list of accounts again (can't tell if it linked properly) and the only option is to click Next (or cancel). I still can't connect to the account or download transactions. Now what?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @mes83 - This might help
    • For ALL of your accounts at your bank, except for investment accounts, go to the Online Services tab and deactivate online services.  On the General tab blank out the Financial Institution, Account Number and any other online information.
    • Then on any one of the accounts, go back to the Online Services tab and click on "Set Up Now" and then search for your bank.
    • When you select your bank, you should see "Advanced Options" on the right.  Click on it and it should give you "Express Web Connect" as an option.  Select it and then proceed with the rest of the online setup for your accounts.
    • [edit] Link the accounts to the appropriate account already set up in Quicken.  Verify that each account is linked appropriately.
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    No, it's worse, it duplicated the accounts instead of linking the one I chose. It didn't not say that I had to link all the accounts otherwise it would just add them. I now have my original accounts with years of transactions AND these new accounts that they are not linked to. These instructions are TERRIBLE. Now what? Maybe just delete this file and go back to the previous because of auto-save. Suggestions?
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Damian, how do I get rid of the extra accounts showing in the Account Tab on the main page. Or link them to the correct original Accounts? It downloaded the transactions into these new accounts. Will I lose them if I delete the file and start over again?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - you needed to link the accounts at your bank with the ones already in Quicken, not create new ones.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. You would just need to delete the new accounts that were created.   When you reset up Online services again, just make sure to "link to existing" rather than "create new".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No you shouldn't lose these transactions if you relink online services to your existing accounts. To delete these extra accounts, go into Account Details, and then at the bottom of the box, by the "?" you will see a "Delete" button.  Click on it and it should give you instructions/confirmation for you to delete the account.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - I edited the instructions to include a step to "link to existing" these accounts instead of "create new".  Again sorry for the omission.
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - thank you. Had no idea I was creating new accounts. and I don't want to set up all accounts for download. I want to select which ones to download. Will these transactions download again if I recreate the process and link correctly? the download process identifies transactions that have been downloaded before so they don't download again.
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @damian - can I not specify the dates of the transactions that I want to download? I used to be able to do that with Direct Connect. But now, my bank is using express web connect which seems to have fewer features.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 -The transactions that the downloaded into the new accounts were probably old transactions that were already downloaded into your existing accounts. If not, you can keep the new accounts until you set up online services for your existing accounts to ensure either way that you won't lose any transactions.

• Go back to the new duplicate accounts that were set up and deactivate online services for each one.
    • Set up online services again, but this time "link to existing" and link the appropriate account on Quicken (be sure not to select any of the new duplicate accounts).
    • After online services are reestablished for your all your existing accounts, verify that all transactions in your existing accounts are complete and current.
    • If so, you can delete the duplicate accounts.
    • If you are missing transactions in the existing accounts, but they are in the duplicate accounts, you can use the "Move" command to move them over to the existing accounts.
    • After this is done, you can delete the duplicate accounts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - the only way I know of that you can specify download dates is by using Web Connect (WC) where you download transactions directly from your online account with the bank.

Otherwise, if you follow the steps I outlined above, and disable online services for the duplicate accounts and reestablish online services for the existing accounts.  You then can be sure that you haven't lost any transactions.  After you verify that, you can delete the duplicate accounts.
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - following your instructions above to deactivate online services. Having a problem on several accounts saying that there are downloaded transactions that must be accepted first. No idea why or how to fix? Suggestions?
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - the transactions were not downloaded before because the bank finally told me that this new connections as available after they did a software change in march. No downloads since then. So this restarting process of downloads and reconciliations.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83, there are several ways to proceed with this, but I think the easiest is to go ahead and accept all transactions into the duplicate accounts, and then you will be able to deactivate online services.  
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian if I accept, I've already entered the transactions in the original account and it's several months worth of transactions. What are the other options? I'd like to be able to match the transactions in the original account so that I can reconcile. I don't think I can match across accounts - never seen that. If I delete these new accounts and re-establish online services, will the transactions re-download so that I can match and reconcile. So sorry for the complexity of this. The Quicken instructions were simply not clear or complete.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - the reason why I wanted to deactivate before we reestablish the links again in the existing accounts is so there is a "clean break".  But there could be an alternative if your bank allows it.  You could download transactions from your online account with the bank using Web Connect. 

What is your bank?  I think it's Chase, but didn't want to make that assumption.
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - It's not Chase but Digital Credit Union which had Direct Connect for years. Now changed to express web connect. They only have this now. The transactions were downloaded when the new accounts were created. is web connect same as express web connect?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
     @Mes83 - since you already downloaded the transactions into the new duplicate accounts, at this point, I don't think it makes a difference if you accept them or not.  That is why it is safest to accept them all, deactivate online services in the duplicate accounts, and then establish Express Web Connect in the existing accounts.  I think the transactions will re-download in the existing accounts.  If not, I think you can always download them using Web Connect.

Sorry but I need to leave but will be back in a bit.
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - thank you. I'll accept them and deactive account and start all over again. will let you know how that works. Hoping the transactions will download again using express web connect.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - no Web Connect is where you can download from your online account, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it's offered at Digital Credit Union.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - at this point I would go ahead and try to reconnect your existing accounts and go from there.  I will be back here in a bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - Please let me how you are progressing.  I am sure we can get this all worked out.
  • MES83
    MES83 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - thank you for your help yesterday. I finally figured out how to match the quicken version of the accounts with the banks. I've learned a few things besides that both need significant improvements. After many hours troubleshooting and re-doing (at least 6 hours), here are some issues:
    * Every time you deactivate online services and re-start it, every account has to be checked because if there are some that were set as don't show in Quicken, these will be re-downloaded and set up again. Plus, there were times that the connections seemed to change. Every mapping has to be closely checked. Quicken changes things without any warning.
    * Once Quicken downloads the transactions, the matching isn't always correct. Even checks with same amounts, different check numbers, and dates don't match correctly. Assume nothing. This is a BUG.
    * the incorrect payees we listed in the downloaded transactions. this seemed particularly happening when the transaction transferred funds from one account to the other such as transferring money to pay a credit card. The name on the Payee was often wrong when it was a transfer. Everything else was fine. The funds were transferred to the correct account.

Bottom line - this is an unnecessarily painful process with Gotcha's everywhere. large part due to Quicken's poor instructions, poor coding, poor GUI.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @mes83 - I am very glad you got it all worked out.  And yes, there are things to watch out for in any "conversion" process.  Transactions need to be scrutinized and corrections made.  But, I have to admit that the problems yesterday started when I omitted an important step of "link to existing account".

There are many ways to do things in Quicken and it's up to the user what works best for them.  But here are a few suggestions that might help you with the issues you described.
    • Reconcile your account regularly, some users do it manually via their monthly bank statements.  I automatically reconcile daily.  If set up this way, a reconciliation is automatically done after transactions are downloaded.  Quicken can be set up to do it either way.
    • Check out the settings in "Data entry and QuickFill" and "Downloaded transactions" in Preferences.  These settings work in "symphony" with each other to make data entry easier and consistent.  You might need to play around with these settings to get it to work the way you want.
    • But sometimes, "Renaming Rules" and "Memorized Payees" can get "out of whack".  Meaning Payee Names and Categories can get matched up incorrectly.  Review and clean up/fix these lists regularly.
    Quicken is pretty flexible, but sometimes finding the right setting or option is sometimes not easy.  The good news is some good support documentation available, and many other users in this forum that are willing to help if and when you need it.
This discussion has been closed.