Recording a transfer from Investment Account to Cash Account

Options
DWillem
DWillem Member ✭✭
I just updated to v 6.8.1 for MAC. In a prior versions, I could link transactions from an investment account into my checking (cash) account. I seem to be unable to do so today. I see the deposit in my cash account but cannot link it to, nor see in the investment account, the transfer. What changed?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You can definitely still create linked transfers between investment and checking accounts in 6.8.1. The transaction type on the investment account must be Payment/Deposit. No other transaction type will allow a linked transfer on the investment account.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • DWillem
    DWillem Member ✭✭
    Options
    RickO, thanks for your response. Just to clarify, pre 6.8.1 I could record a transfer from an investment account to a cash account as just that, a transfer. (I have set up a monthly auto-transfer from my investment account to my checking account). This made sense as it was just moving money from one account to another. What you are saying is that now (post 6.8.1 update) I need to consider the transfer as a "payment" from the investment account and a "deposit" from the cash account. Intellectually that seems wrong. Am I missing something?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    It's just a matter of semantics. Checking accounts don't have transactions types; they are all cash transactions. Investment accounts have Buys, Sells, etc and they have cash transactions which are designated type "Payment/Deposit". Only the latter type allows transfers to other accounts. 

When you create the transfer transaction in the investment account, it will look like this:

The corresponding transaction will automatically be created in the checking account and look like this:

You can also schedule this transaction in the investment account which will look like this:

I'm not sure why you are seeing a difference pre and post 6.8.1 because nothing changed in this regard.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • DWillem
    DWillem Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. It appears that with the 6.8.1 update, one has to select Detailed in Investment Tracking Method to show the transactions. After selecting Detailed, I can see the transactions in the investment account and match them with the downloaded transaction in my cash account. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.