I updated tags for multiple transactions and it completely corrupted my file

Options
K Walsh
K Walsh Member ✭✭
Has anyone else run into this?
Quicken for Windows
Problems it caused included:
- changing my paycheck deposits to 100 withdrawls; only way to fix was to open and click Enter
- lost transactions in cash account for 1.5 years
- deposits in multiple accounts messed up
- 2 closed account opening balances whacky; account balances messed up (were and should have been 0)
- other things I probably haven't noticed.

I tried validating file to fix issues; it found some, but didn't fix above
I have had to return to a file from last week (thank goodness it is only 1 week)
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    K Walsh said:
    Has anyone else run into this?
    Quicken for Windows
    Problems it caused included:
    - changing my paycheck deposits to 100 withdrawls; only way to fix was to open and click Enter
    - lost transactions in cash account for 1.5 years
    - deposits in multiple accounts messed up
    - 2 closed account opening balances whacky; account balances messed up (were and should have been 0)
    - other things I probably haven't noticed.

I tried validating file to fix issues; it found some, but didn't fix above
    I have had to return to a file from last week (thank goodness it is only 1 week)
    Hello @K Walsh

I am sorry to hear about this problem with updating tags and unusual behavior appearing afterwards. Thank you for bringing this matter before the Quicken Community.

Did you attempt to super validate the data file after running through the validation steps, as well? I will reiterate those steps here, although be sure to save a backup before proceeding:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.  

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

• Navigate to File
      • Select Copy or Backup File...
      • Select Create a copy or template
      • Click Next 
      • Select a file location on your computer
      • Click Save Copy
      • Select New Copy
      • Click OK

Let us know how this works, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • K Walsh
    K Walsh Member ✭✭
    Options
    I restored a backup file to solve the problem.
    I had to re-enter some transactions but that was easier than fixing the corrupted file.
    I tagged stuff individually rather than tempting fate again with mass re-tagging thru reports.
    I eventually got what I needed--including a tag report.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @K Walsh - It seems like you are underway with restoring your data file back to where it was.  That's a good thing. 

But when you were mass changing Tags, did Quicken look like it froze?  Did you then stop the process by a "Ctrl+Alt+Del" or a "Not Responding"?  If so, that could have been the cause of the data file corruption.

The problem with using the mass edit or find/replace is that if the selection is large, it will take a very, very very, long time, and there is no indication how much time is left or even if it is working and not stalled.  I have learned (also the hard way) to be very patient when using mass change of any kind, and just let the process run no matter how much it looks like it's "not responding".  Just trying to help so you don't have to go through this again.
This discussion has been closed.