Does anyone know how to set up a scheduled check pay to the same vendor from 2 account?

Options
whodiini
whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
I use check pay to pay the same vendor every month, from 2 different accounts. so that is 2 different checks every month. I am unable to schedule that payment in Quicken because it is the same vendor. I set it up from one account, and when I try to set up teh second payment, Quicken says that the vendor is already set up, so I cannot set it up twice. Thanks!

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    whodiini said:
    I use check pay to pay the same vendor every month, from 2 different accounts. so that is 2 different checks every month. I am unable to schedule that payment in Quicken because it is the same vendor. I set it up from one account, and when I try to set up teh second payment, Quicken says that the vendor is already set up, so I cannot set it up twice. Thanks!
    Hello @whodiini

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced in relation to the Scheduled Transaction feature. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, save a backup, just in case, by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Have you tried setting up two vendors in Quicken, but using name of the company, with the last four digits of the account number for each? For example, you would follow the steps listed in this Support Article to set up a vendor, but you would run through this process twice, then name the vendor 'Company X 1234' the first time and 'Company X 5678' the second time. 

I am eager to hear about whether or not this is effective. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • whodiini
    Options
    The trick to make 2 transactions was to enter different account numbers (even though Quicken says it is optional - it is not optional). What was a bit strange is the in the bills and income tab, one biller is listed with the vendor and account number, the other biller is listed with the vendor and memo (not the account number). In any case, the preview of both checks are correct. Thank you!
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    whodiini said:
    The trick to make 2 transactions was to enter different account numbers (even though Quicken says it is optional - it is not optional). What was a bit strange is the in the bills and income tab, one biller is listed with the vendor and account number, the other biller is listed with the vendor and memo (not the account number). In any case, the preview of both checks are correct. Thank you!
    Hello @whodiini

I am glad to hear that you were able to uncover a resolution. I really appreciate you taking the time to check back in with me about this and let me know what steps you were able to use to solve this issue.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Also: were the memos associated with the transactions entered differently in the register? I am curious to know more about this.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • whodiini
    Options
    It was strange. When I entered the second bill, the original bill was listed with the vendor and account number and the second was vendor and memo. I ended up deleting both bills and restarting from scratch. Once I started from scratch, both bills had vendor and memo listed in the bills and income tab. No account numbers listed. Its strange behavior because one would think that the vendor and account number should be listed to differentiate between the two bills with the same vendor name. Minor bug,
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    whodiini said:
    It was strange. When I entered the second bill, the original bill was listed with the vendor and account number and the second was vendor and memo. I ended up deleting both bills and restarting from scratch. Once I started from scratch, both bills had vendor and memo listed in the bills and income tab. No account numbers listed. Its strange behavior because one would think that the vendor and account number should be listed to differentiate between the two bills with the same vendor name. Minor bug,
    @whodiini

I really appreciate that you took the chance to tell me more about this. 

If you can, it may be worthwhile to navigate to Tools > Memorized Payee List. Do you notice any entries in the Memos column that may explain this behavior? 

I look forward to hearing any response you may be able to provide, and I hope this inquiry proves helpful in shedding further light on the matter.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Instead of making 2 Check Pay payments per month to the same vendor (which may cost you extra money for the Check Pay fees), how about tackling this from the vendor's side?
    Does the vendor on their website allow you to make your monthly payment as two partial payments from different selected checking accounts, e.g. 40% of amount due from account A, 60% from account B? If so, this would make paying your bill on time easier. And if they allow you to select automatic monthly payments to occur this way every month, automatically on due date, you'd save yourself a lot of work and Check Pay fees and your payments would always be on time.
  • whodiini
    Options
    Jared, your suggestion was accurate. When I go to Memorized payee list, there are several entries and the biller must be using one of them incorrectly. I deleted all of them and hopefully that will fix the issue. Thanks!
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    whodiini said:
    Jared, your suggestion was accurate. When I go to Memorized payee list, there are several entries and the biller must be using one of them incorrectly. I deleted all of them and hopefully that will fix the issue. Thanks!
    Hello @whodiini

I am happy to be of assistance, and thank you so much for reaching out to us to let us know more about how things are developing. 

Feel free to reach out again anytime. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.